[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS swappers

pthomas@arecibo.aero.org (Peter L. Thomas) (05/15/91)

-Message-Text-Follows-
I'm looking for a program that swaps autoexec.bat and config.sys sets in
a painless fashion.  The ideal program would:

o  Install itself as the first line in any config.sys
   i.e. DEVICE=\sys\SWAPCFG.SYS
o  Copy a new configuration into the config.sys and autoexec.bat files
o  Issue a software reset

If such a program does not exist, I'd like some hints on writing .sys
drivers--I really don't know where to start.

Thanks!

--Pete

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May15.151517.22723@aero.org>, pthomas@arecibo.aero.org (Peter L. Thomas) writes:
> I'm looking for a program that swaps autoexec.bat and config.sys sets in
> a painless fashion.  The ideal program would:
>
> o  Install itself as the first line in any config.sys
>    i.e. DEVICE=\sys\SWAPCFG.SYS
> o  Copy a new configuration into the config.sys and autoexec.bat files
> o  Issue a software reset

I find this .BAT file useful:

  COPY C:\BOOT\%1.SYS C:\CONFIG.SYS
  COPY C:\BOOT\%1.BAT C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

(Uppercase used only to denote the file contents)

I call the file "boot.bat".  In my c:\boot directory:

  plain.bat
  plain.sys
  qemm.bat
  qemm.sys
  r32.bat
  r32.sys
  raw.bat
  raw.sys

So I just enter "boot r32" and hit CTRL-ALT-DEL.  Lots of TSR's trap
the CTRL-ALT-DEL so they can clean up before rebooting, so I don't
suggest trying to do it in software.  Trust me, I tried.

DJ
dj@ctron.com

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.151517.22723@aero.org> pthomas@arecibo.aero.org (Peter L. Thomas) writes:
>I'm looking for a program that swaps autoexec.bat and config.sys sets in
>a painless fashion.  The ideal program would:
:

One (obvious?) place to scan is our /pc/bootutil directory.

   All the best, Timo

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

eyer@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eyer) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.151517.22723@aero.org> pthomas@arecibo.aero.org (Peter L. Thomas) writes:
>-Message-Text-Follows-
>I'm looking for a program that swaps autoexec.bat and config.sys sets in
>a painless fashion.  The ideal program would:
[some lines deleted]
>o  Copy a new configuration into the config.sys and autoexec.bat files
>o  Issue a software reset

Oh, another PC configuration problem !
Hopefully, there are lots of sharewares that do the job quite well.
The best I know, and the one I use, is ConEd. You may find it on Simtel20,
in the <msdos.sysutl> directory. I've forgotten the archive name.
It does exactly what you expect, and allows a short description (40 chars)
of the configuration. It is menu-driven, very nice, and can be installed
in your AUTOEXEC, or be called when you want to change your configuration.

>If such a program does not exist, I'd like some hints on writing .sys
>drivers--I really don't know where to start.

I don't understand why you want to put it in your CONFIG.SYS....
There is one commercial program that does that (which one ??).
Anyway, to write some device drivers, you may find usefull hints
on simtel20 (still the same - thanks Keith !) in the <msdos.info> directory,
I would propose the _Technical Reference_ from Dave Williams, the archive
file is called something like 1216REF if I remember well.

>Thanks!

No matter !  Happy programming and configuring !

>--Pete

Manu  (Emmanul Eyer)

B.C.Phillips@massey.ac.nz (B.C.M. Phillips) (05/21/91)

Hi,
I had a need for a similar product, and I am now using Boot.sys,
which is a shareware? product ( that I must get around to
registering, 'cause it has a persistant message that keeps on telling
me that it isn't registered :). It is a step better than the - copy a
new config and autoexec to the root and reboot - type of program in
that it runs from 1 config.sys and autoexec.bat file. The config.sys
starts off with the common stuff for all the boot sequences you want,
then calls the BOOT.SYS driver which reads the rest of the config.sys
and creates a menu to allow you to run thru different versions of the
config.sys depending on what you choose. This can then be followed by
other stuff that is common to all the config.sys'. Then in the
autoexec.bat you make a call to BOOT.COM which returns an errorlevel
depending on the choice you made in the config.sys menu.

I got it out of the sysutl directory in Simtel20.

I find it really handy as we use PC-NFS and the drivers take up 94K
that I feel could be better spent when I am not using the net. I have
had no problems with the product so far ( touch wood :).

Cheers Brenden

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
B.C.Phillips@massey.ac.nz
Brenden Phillips, School of Math and Info Sciences, Massey University.

s902114@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Zen [Stuart Bishop]=) (05/21/91)

B.C.Phillips@massey.ac.nz (B.C.M. Phillips) writes:

[...]

There is a program called dynaboot which simply copies .bat and .sys
files to the root directory and renames them. Accessable either through
a menu of command line. It is a simple system, but requires that you
boot up and THEN choose what system to use if you want to chance.

I am not sure if it is shareware or public domain, but something
that simple should not be paid for IMHO.

a few simple batch files would do exactly the same trick
--

 _____                      Two elephants fell off a cliff. Boom Boom.