[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Program to Convert Sun's U-law sounds to Amiga sounds, done!

stefanis@ecst.csuchico.edu (Nick Stefanisko) (05/17/91)

It has be done! Ever since I got my SoundBlaster I've been trying
to convert u-law to 8bit samples. Finnaly some one has figured it out.
at ab20.larc.nasa.gov in /pub there is a program ulaw2iff.tar.Z
written for the Sun SARC, that will convert u-law to Amiga sounds.
Then you can use DP25 to convert the Amiga to PC sound. I'v tested it
and it works. The samples come out at a sample speed of 8129. Kind of
a strange number, but you have to remember that it has been converted
from a really strange format to a strange format to a normal format. So
crazy is expected.

I tried to post a message similar to this one last night, but I think
I sent it to c.b.i.p instead of !!.d, sorry. Please don't flame, I don't
need that kind of preasure, what with finals and all.

     ///  \.\  Nick Stefanisko (stefanis@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu)
    ///   .\\\                 (stefanis@sunrfe.arc.nasa.gov)
   ///   .....................................................................
   \\\    . /// "Oodal-lada oodal-lada" --Thomas Dolby
    \\\    .//

lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.200858.16299@ecst.csuchico.edu> stefanis@ecst.csuchico.edu (Nick Stefanisko) writes:
>It has be done! Ever since I got my SoundBlaster I've been trying
>to convert u-law to 8bit samples. Finnaly some one has figured it out.
>at ab20.larc.nasa.gov in /pub there is a program ulaw2iff.tar.Z
>written for the Sun SARC, that will convert u-law to Amiga sounds.
>Then you can use DP25 to convert the Amiga to PC sound. I'v tested it
>and it works. The samples come out at a sample speed of 8129. Kind of
>a strange number, but you have to remember that it has been converted
>from a really strange format to a strange format to a normal format. So
>crazy is expected.
>
>I tried to post a message similar to this one last night, but I think
>I sent it to c.b.i.p instead of !!.d, sorry. Please don't flame, I don't
>need that kind of preasure, what with finals and all.
>
>     ///  \.\  Nick Stefanisko (stefanis@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu)
>    ///   .\\\                 (stefanis@sunrfe.arc.nasa.gov)
>   ///   .....................................................................
>   \\\    . /// "Oodal-lada oodal-lada" --Thomas Dolby
>    \\\    .//

If you have Windows, take a look at Soundtool.  It can convert (and edit)
both Sun and NeXT sound files to at least straight sound data files, and I
know there's a utility available to put a Soundblaster header onto the data
file.  This is still kind of round about, but I think it's a little closer,
assuming you have Windows.  I don't have a Soundblaster (yet!), so I haven't
tried it that way, but you might want to take a look at this.  It's available
from cica.cica.indiana.edu, somewhere under /pub/pc/win3.  Hope this helps.

Scott.

--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite

bill@oracle.SCG.HAC.COM (Bill Neisius) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May17.212832.8978@midway.uchicago.edu> lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) writes:
>If you have Windows, take a look at Soundtool.

If you don't have Windows, I can offer a Turbo C program that also does the conversion.

Bill Neisius
bill@solaria.hac.com