[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] garbo

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (05/23/91)

Is garbo down??  I've tried to ftp in several times but i get..

425 unable to open data path, service interupted.

or something similar.  wassup?

eyer@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eyer) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May23.014014.14043@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>Is garbo down??  I've tried to ftp in several times but i get..
>
>425 unable to open data path, service interupted.
>
>or something similar.  wassup?

It's the same for me too, each time I try a 'dir' or 'get' command. I sometimes
manage to get the directory of /pub/pc, but that's all...

Manu   (Emmanuel Eyer)

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May23.014014.14043@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>Is garbo down??  I've tried to ftp in several times but i get..
>
>425 unable to open data path, service interupted.
>
>or something similar.  wassup?

garbo has been up unbeliavable long time :)  and still is.  I think we
brake a record or something.

ruptime:
garbo         up 83+04:41,     2 users,  load 0.40, 0.07, 0.02

Perhaps we should force it down...

But we still have problems with our net software.

This is our standard answer to this kind of problem.

> "Can't build data connection: Interrupted system service"

Although   we have already built  and  installed a  new  ftp daemon it
didn't solve all our problems concerning this.  The trouble appears to
be a timing problem in  the  mips supplied inet-daemon.  We are trying
to get this fixed. For all I know, you may succeed,  if you just retry
the operation. And I know that although you don't get  dir listing you
can retrieve files   if you know where   they are  and what   are they
called. So get yourself a  copy of pc/INDEX or pc/_file.lst  and check
the files out from there.

BTW, not all users seem to suffer from this condition,  so maybe it is
some kind  of  compatibilty problem (mips  inetd  uses   the  new  van
Jacobsen code).

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ============================
 P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (05/24/91)

In article <10901@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> eyer@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eyer) writes:
>In article <1991May23.014014.14043@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>>Is garbo down??  I've tried to ftp in several times but i get..
>>
>>425 unable to open data path, service interupted.
>>
>>or something similar.  wassup?
>
>It's the same for me too, each time I try a 'dir' or 'get' command. I sometimes
>manage to get the directory of /pub/pc, but that's all...

I seem to have found an answer to my own question (I'm the one that asked if
garbo was down).  Well it seems that if you us  ls  without any modifiers
like -l to get the file size it'll work well enough, it just means that
you don't know off hand if it's a directory or a file and what size it is.
So, Good Luck all and may the Farce be with you...

HAN@FRECP12.BITNET (Jay Thierry HAN) (05/25/91)

In article <10901@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>,
eyer@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eyer) says:

>In article <1991May23.014014.14043@serval.net.wsu.edu>
>msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>>Is garbo down??  I've tried to ftp in several times but i get..
>>
>>425 unable to open data path, service interupted.
>>
>>or something similar.  wassup?
>
>It's the same for me too, each time I try a 'dir' or 'get' command. I
>sometimes
>manage to get the directory of /pub/pc, but that's all...
>
>Manu   (Emmanuel Eyer)

I think that has to do with the 'slow networks links' that causes BITFTP
to deny access to Finnish sites from European nodes.
There's the mail server (mail to mailserv@garbo.uwasa.fi,
subject: garbo-request), but it seems to have died lately.

Any workaround ?

                                                      J. HAN.

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May23.103500.8209@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama)
writes:
> And I know that although you don't get dir listing you can retrieve
> files if you know where they are and what are they called.

There is one possibility in between.  During a recent FTP connection I
found that although I often could not get a response to
        dir
from the subdirectories of /pc, I *could* nearly always get a response to
        nlist .
However, although nlist displays a list of files, it does not give any
other information about them. In particular, no file sizes.

Even so, there was something odd about the connection. Some commands were
followed almost instantaneously with the (unbelievable) assertion that
more than 100000 empty lines had been transferred! However, that was a
few days ago and I cannot now remember exactly what I was doing. In any
case, there are so many layers between my desk and garbo, that I hardly
dare venture guesses about where the assertion originated.

Hylton
--
Hylton Boothroyd        h.boothroyd@cu.warwick.uk.ac
Warwick Business School Janet: h.boothroyd@uk.ac.warwick.cu

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (05/26/91)

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) writes (re garbo ftp problems):
>Even so, there was something odd about the connection. Some commands were
>followed almost instantaneously with the (unbelievable) assertion that
>more than 100000 empty lines had been transferred!

I have seen that too, when the nlist command is used and the server
has a bug which causes it to send only LF at the end of each line,
instead of the CRLF which is *required* by the Internet RFC.

The error message I see from my FTP client is "100000 bare line feeds
received, and error may have occurred and the file may be incorrect."
The number is frequently higher and 100000 and is probably incorrect,
but the fact remains that the server is broken.

I offered to help with freely-distributable versions of ftpd and inetd
but was politely told by the folks at uwasa that the problem was
referred to MIPS for solution and it may be "some time" before it is
resolved.

If anyone from MIPS is reading this I hope they will look into this.
It's certainly poor public relations for them.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (05/26/91)

In article <91144.134028HAN@FRECP12.BITNET> HAN@FRECP12.BITNET (Jay Thierry HAN) writes:
>I think that has to do with the 'slow networks links' that causes BITFTP
>to deny access to Finnish sites from European nodes.
>There's the mail server (mail to mailserv@garbo.uwasa.fi,
>subject: garbo-request), but it seems to have died lately.

WHAT!? Died? Noaway. It  works smoothly and  has done so  since it was
moved to garbo.