[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help

galinsky@attdso.att.com (Al Galinsky) (07/27/89)

I'm very new to this newsgroup so please excuse the following
(naive) question:

How does one capture and run the programs that appear here?
I'm obviously missing something.

Al

ksiew@ecr.mu.oz.au (Kok-Hsien SIEW) (04/12/91)

I am new to this usenet area so please dont be too hard on me.

Questions:

   1) Is there a pkzip/pkunzip for unix (main frame in my uni)

   2) where can i get a list of all FTP sites with ms-dos programs

   3) how do i decode the binary programs in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

ps: please give IP num of the FTP sites.

Thanks in advance....

                                        S t e v e n    S i e w . .

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/13/91)

In article <7323@munnari.oz.au> ksiew@ecr.mu.oz.au (Kok-Hsien SIEW) writes:
>I am new to this usenet area so please dont be too hard on me.
>Questions:
>   1) Is there a pkzip/pkunzip for unix (main frame in my uni)
>   2) where can i get a list of all FTP sites with ms-dos programs
>   3) how do i decode the binary programs in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
:

Your questions sond like you would well benefit from first reading
the Frequently Asked Questions collection /pc/ts/tsfaq19.arc.  Below
is how to go about it:

The file is available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.37, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared to send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply.  Contact your
system manager for devicing a proper mail path for you, because
unless you do, you wouldn't be able to utilize the mail server
anyway.  If you are in North America first consider using an ftp
site near you to spare the overseas load.)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr13.050719.8740@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <7323@munnari.oz.au> ksiew@ecr.mu.oz.au (Kok-Hsien SIEW) writes:
>>I am new to this usenet area so please dont be too hard on me.
>>Questions:
>>   1) Is there a pkzip/pkunzip for unix (main frame in my uni)
>>   2) where can i get a list of all FTP sites with ms-dos programs
>>   3) how do i decode the binary programs in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
>:
>
>Your questions sond like you would well benefit from first reading
>the Frequently Asked Questions collection /pc/ts/tsfaq19.arc.  Below
>is how to go about it:

I had the same question. I searched (maybe not hard enough) one of the
ftp sites. There were arc and zoo for unix, but no zip.
Does anyone know where it hides?

--
                      |  Yesterday I was a student.
     Sehyeong Cho     |  Today I am a student.
     cho@cs.psu.edu   |  Tomorrow I'll probably still be a student.

c60b-1eq@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/14/91)

In article <kaaG$jho1@cs.psu.edu> cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) writes:
>>In article <7323@munnari.oz.au> ksiew@ecr.mu.oz.au (Kok-Hsien SIEW) writes:
>>>I am new to this usenet area so please dont be too hard on me.
>>>Questions:
>>>   1) Is there a pkzip/pkunzip for unix (main frame in my uni)
>I had the same question. I searched (maybe not hard enough) one of the
>ftp sites. There were arc and zoo for unix, but no zip.
>Does anyone know where it hides?

Allow me to point out the subtle differences between compression programs:
ZOO and LHa (LHArc too) are free programs for which source code is
publicly available.  ARC is an outdated straight-Lempel-Ziv compression
program which is well outdated.  Phil Katz intended ZIP as a money-making
scheme for the MSDOS market.  The source code is not available.  The
ZIP file format is, however, and hence the presence of UNZIP programs.
Theoretically, one could write a compatible ZIPping procedure, but they'll
have to devise all their own compression code (meaning we'll probably
never see one).

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/14/91)

c60b-1eq@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>>I had the same question. I searched (maybe not hard enough) one of the
>>ftp sites. There were arc and zoo for unix, but no zip.
>>Does anyone know where it hides?
>
>Allow me to point out the subtle differences between compression programs:
>ZOO and LHa (LHArc too) are free programs for which source code is
>publicly available.  ARC is an outdated straight-Lempel-Ziv compression
>program which is well outdated.  Phil Katz intended ZIP as a money-making
>scheme for the MSDOS market.  The source code is not available.  The
>ZIP file format is, however, and hence the presence of UNZIP programs.
>Theoretically, one could write a compatible ZIPping procedure, but they'll
>have to devise all their own compression code (meaning we'll probably
>never see one).

Apparently you've never heard of the Info-ZIP@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
mailing list, a group devoted to deleloping UNZIP and ZIP for
minicomputers and mainframes.  There is a working UNZIP (with source
code) for Unix, VMS, CMS, and MS-DOS - with others in the works.  See
the pd1:<misc.unix>, pd1:<misc.vaxvms>, pd1:<misc.ibm-cms> and
pd1:<msdos.zip> directories on SIMTEL20.

A Beta test version of ZIP is being tested right now.  It's not ready
for public release however.

If you are interested in helping to Beta test and develop these
programs, send email to Info-ZIP-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL with
a request to be added to the mailing list.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

In article <5863@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>c60b-1eq@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>>>Does anyone know where it hides?
>> . . . . . . . . . . .  Phil Katz intended ZIP as a money-making
>>scheme for the MSDOS market.  The source code is not available.  The
>>ZIP file format is, however, and hence the presence of UNZIP programs.
>>Theoretically, one could write a compatible ZIPping procedure, but they'll
>>have to devise all their own compression code (meaning we'll probably
>>never see one).
>Apparently you've never heard of the Info-ZIP@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
>mailing list, a group devoted to deleloping UNZIP and ZIP for
>minicomputers and mainframes.  There is a working UNZIP (with source
>code) for Unix, VMS, CMS, and MS-DOS - with others in the works.  See
>the pd1:<misc.unix>, pd1:<misc.vaxvms>, pd1:<misc.ibm-cms> and
>pd1:<msdos.zip> directories on SIMTEL20.

As I've already pointed out, there are working UNZIP programs because
the ZIP format is publicly available.  It is much less difficult to
decompress code than to devise the compression schemes.

>A Beta test version of ZIP is being tested right now.  It's not ready
>for public release however.

Written by Phil Katz?  In any case, there are more efficient compression
programs available, such as Yoshi's LHa--a promising high-speed, high-
compression program for which source code is already publicly available

>If you are interested in helping to Beta test and develop these
>programs, send email to Info-ZIP-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL with
>a request to be added to the mailing list.

The prospect of a free (it will be free, I assume, since the source code
will have to be distributed) ZIP package is interesting, however.

--
+==========================================================================+

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/16/91)

c60b-1eq@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>>A Beta test version of ZIP is being tested right now.  It's not ready
>>for public release however.
>
>Written by Phil Katz?  In any case, there are more efficient compression
>programs available, such as Yoshi's LHa--a promising high-speed, high-
>compression program for which source code is already publicly available
>[...]
>The prospect of a free (it will be free, I assume, since the source code
>will have to be distributed) ZIP package is interesting, however.

I guess I wasn't clear enough.  The ZIP package for minicomputers and
mainframes which the Info-ZIP folks are working on is *not* written by
Phil Katz.  It will be freely distributable C language source code
when the Beta testing is finished.  When it is released, it will be
posted to the appropriate Usenet sources newsgroups as well as to FTP
sites like SIMTEL20.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!umich!vela!w8sdz                          BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

schnitz@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Robert Schnitzler [Chemie]) (05/28/91)

HELP !!!

Sorry, but I am new on this system and I have a - perhaps very stupid - question.
I am not able to connect multiple uuencoded files, if for example part 1/11 is at a position far behind part 6/11 (or similar). If I try to decode this file I get two messages. First ''No begin Line'and second 'File X incomplete - removed'.
Is there any possibility to get these single parts back into the right line up?

I would be extremely thankful if somebody could give me a little help.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Robert Schnitzler#
University of Kaiserslautern
Food Chemistry & Environmental Toxicology
6750 Kaiserslautern

tarah@felix.inria.fr (Anas Tarah) (05/30/91)

Hello,
  I'am looking for the fax number or any  reference to the Downlink corp
or to the EQUAL-PARTNER use of the parallel port.

Thanks in advance.

TARAH ANAS.

PS: Please answer by E-Mail