[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Dvorak key mapping program.

dewaler@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (05/28/91)

I am looking for a program that will remap my keys.
I would to go from QWERTY to DVORAK.
If you know an ftpsite that has this program, please e-mail me.

Thank you in advance,
dewaler@mist.cs.orst.edu

pshuang@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (05/31/91)

One of the better shareware keyboard macro programs, Newkey (see your
local FTP site or BBS, is up to at least version 5.0) includes a data
file which tells the macro program how to map the standard QWERTY
keyboard to Dvorak.  If you're serious about going Dvorak, you may be
better off looking into keyboard manufacturers which make them with the
proper layout of keycaps and punctuation, etc.

Singing off,
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang).

ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May28.104524.20688@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>
dewaler@prism.CS.ORST.EDU writes:
>I am looking for a program that will remap my keys.
>I would to go from QWERTY to DVORAK.
>If you know an ftpsite that has this program, please e-mail me.

Someone else posted an ftp source; I once used one put out by the real, live
Dvorak folks...but it only worked with some programs.  Others insisted on
grabbing the keyboard output directly, and bypassing the remapper.

It's too bad the keyboard can't be directly reprogrammed to do this...well,
I don't _think_ you can do that....

Anyway, I got mad, and got myself a new keyboard with fairly flat keytops, and
rewired the whole damn thing to speak DSK.  It's been working just fine for
about a year and a half now.