[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] What does DJGPP do?

rwsoukoreff@trillium.waterloo.edu (Rob Soukoreff) (06/02/91)

  Hello,

I've seen the recent series of articles about DJGPP, the GPP Compiler
for "MSDOS 386".  My question is simply:  What does that mean?

Is there a special Extender that makes changes vanilla MSDOS into
MSDOS 386?  Does this mean MSDOS can be made to do Multitasking,
or handle Virtual memory?

Does the DJGPP Compiler allow access to the real 386 functions, like
Multitasking, or Vritual memory?

In short, what's the distinction between this "386 GPP Compiler", and
a Non 386 GPP Compiler?

   Thanks in advance,
     R. Soukoreff
     rwsoukoreff@trillium.uwaterloo.ca

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun1.233033.22072@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rwsoukoreff@trillium.waterloo.edu (Rob Soukoreff) writes:
> I've seen the recent series of articles about DJGPP, the GPP Compiler
> for "MSDOS 386".  My question is simply:  What does that mean?
>
> Is there a special Extender that makes changes vanilla MSDOS into
> MSDOS 386?  Does this mean MSDOS can be made to do Multitasking,
> or handle Virtual memory?
>
> Does the DJGPP Compiler allow access to the real 386 functions, like
> Multitasking, or Vritual memory?
>
> In short, what's the distinction between this "386 GPP Compiler", and
> a Non 386 GPP Compiler?

Sorry about being vague.  Here's the scoop:

"djgpp" is a combinartion of a DOS extender, which allows DOS to run
32-bit 80386 programs, and a port of GNU's g++ compiler.  Together,
they form a 32-bit development environment for 386/DOS users.  It does
not provide multitasking, but does provide virtual memory and 32-bit
ints and such.

For more information, get the readme, which details it's functionality
and uses.

DJ
dj@ctron.com