[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] djgcc incompatible with smartdrive

logan@sos.com (Mark) (06/04/91)

I use smartdrive, which I got with Microsoft Windows 3.0 as a disk
caching program.  It speeds things up immensely.  However, programs
I compile with djgcc will not work when I have smartdrive loaded.
Does anyone know how to make it work?  Alternatively, does anyone
know of a compatible disk caching program?

Thanks in advance,
logan@sos.com

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (06/05/91)

In article <262@sos.com>, logan@sos.com (Mark) writes:
> I use smartdrive, which I got with Microsoft Windows 3.0 as a disk
> caching program.  It speeds things up immensely.  However, programs
> I compile with djgcc will not work when I have smartdrive loaded.
> Does anyone know how to make it work?  Alternatively, does anyone
> know of a compatible disk caching program?

Try the version of smartdrive that comes with MS-DOS.  The Windows
version is specifically designed to work with Windows.

For best compile results with djgpp, there should be at least 1M of
available extended memory (as reported by MEM or CHKDSK).  Running
debug32 will tell you how much memory the extender has available for
program use.  Type "debug32 debug32.exe" if you don't have anything
better to debug.

DJ
dj@ctron.com