[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for Disk Organizing Program

u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) (06/05/91)

    With so many floppy disks all over the place that contain files
that have no relation, I've started looking for some type of public
domain program which would help organize my files.  I'd like it to
tell me what files #x disk contains and allow me to maximize file
storage of files that are similar in category.  Would you have any
recommendations on a GOOD disk catalogging program?  I'd appreciate
any info about this!

-Mike
----------
Michael Wong
u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu
University of Utah

null@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Niels Ull Jacobsen) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.014026.2337@hellgate.utah.edu>,
u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) writes:

>     With so many floppy disks all over the place that contain files
> that have no relation, I've started looking for some type of public
> domain program which would help organize my files.  I'd like it to
> tell me what files #x disk contains and allow me to maximize file
> storage of files that are similar in category.  Would you have any
> recommendations on a GOOD disk catalogging program?  I'd appreciate
> any info about this!

I have a copy of wssindex, which does just what you mention. It is shareware,
but at a reasonable price (I seem to remember 15$ ?) This program allows you
to group the files by subject, to attach comments to each file, to search on
these comments etc. It looks very impressive. Unfortunately I haven't had the
time to enter all of my 200+ floppy disks into the database, and so doesn't
really know the full potential of the system. But definitely worth looking
into. It doesn't, however, "allow you to maximize file storage of files", but
many other programs will let you do this. Wssindex is just a database of what
is contained on your disks. This does of course mean, that each time you modify
a disk, you will have to let wssindex rescan it. I think that the best use of
this program  will be to have a lot of "library disks" in the database, which
you hardly ever modify, and then a few "work disks", which you use for
day-to-day
file transport etc.

I haven't really used the system yet, and have thus not tested it fully.
That is also the reason, that I have not yet paid my shareware fee.

My version is "wssi403", but it seems that a newer (wssi512) is available
from simtel. There are two files, wssi512a.zip and wssi512b.zip, both in the
<msdos.catalog> directory.

> -Mike
> Michael Wong
> u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu
> University of Utah

      Niels Ull Jacobsen, Dep. of C.S., U of Copenhagen (null@diku.dk)

   Adaz sighed.  "So how long will this journey take?"
   "A month?" Sutekh shrugged.  "Depends on when the horses die."
     -- from "Adaz & Sutekh" by Jeff Stehmann