[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Nasty.com, changing the character fonts on a text mode screen

rda654z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Evan McLean) (05/31/91)

Just recently I found a cute little program called "nasty.com" which I
downloaded from a local BBS.  What this program did was change all the
characters in the text mode screen so they looked like they had been scrawled
with a crayon or similar.  The program came with no documentation and gives no
output of it's own, it just changes the screen.

In doing a strings on the program I came up with two strings inside the
executable.  They were, "PC Magazine" and "Michael J. Mefford".  I've searched
the simtel archives for both a file names nasty*.* and in the PCMAG directory,
but with no luck.  I've also tried archie but still couldn't find it.

The Question:- Does anyone know how who wrote this program (Mr. Mefford I
assume) or alternatively, does anyone know how to do what this program does??

Thanks in advance

Evan McLean
--
Wendigo  (Sometimes known as Evan McLean)  | "Would you like a bag with that?"
[ Occasionally thought of as               | "No thanks, I'll throw up

userAKDU@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Al Dunbar) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.015315.18704@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, rda654z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Evan McLean) writes:
>Just recently I found a cute little program called "nasty.com" which I
>downloaded from a local BBS.  What this program did was change all the
>characters in the text mode screen so they looked like they had been scrawled
>with a crayon or similar.  The program came with no documentation and gives no
>output of it's own, it just changes the screen.
>
>In doing a strings on the program I came up with two strings inside the
>executable.  They were, "PC Magazine" and "Michael J. Mefford".  I've searched
>the simtel archives for both a file names nasty*.* and in the PCMAG directory,
>but with no luck.  I've also tried archie but still couldn't find it.
>
>The Question:- Does anyone know how who wrote this program (Mr. Mefford I
>assume) or alternatively, does anyone know how to do what this program does??

It may be too late, but... it seems to me a bit foolish to:

   a) download a program called NASTY.COM,
   b) note the lack of documentation, and
   c) run the darned thing.

This isn't necessarily a flame, but have you considered
 a "scorched earth policy" just in case?

 -------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Al Dunbar          |
 Edmonton, Alberta  |  Disclaimer: "not much better than
 CANADA             |                  datclaimer"
 -------------------+-------------------------------------------

kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.015315.18704@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> rda654z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Evan McLean) writes:
>Just recently I found a cute little program called "nasty.com" which I
>downloaded from a local BBS.  What this program did was change all the
>characters in the text mode screen so they looked like they had been scrawled
>with a crayon or similar.

There was once a program for desgining alternative font for VGA.  The output
of the program was a com program tht would load the defined font.  What you
have here is a font that someone designed.  Harmless, but fun (for a little
while).

Michael

--
Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
 kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in

eric@cs.fau.edu (Eric Thav) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May31.015315.18704@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> rda654z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Evan McLean) writes:
>In doing a strings on the program I came up with two strings inside the
>executable.  They were, "PC Magazine" and "Michael J. Mefford".  I've searched
>the simtel archives for both a file names nasty*.* and in the PCMAG directory,
>but with no luck.  I've also tried archie but still couldn't find it.

NASTY.COM is most likely a .COM file resulted from PC Magazine's FONTEDIT
program.  A program which will allow you to change the appearance of your
DOS screen font and generate a .COM file that will change the font to
the new one on demand.  I'm not quite sure what issue it was in, but
Volume 7 comes to mind.

--
.signature not found, format hard disk instead? (Y/N)_
Eric L. Thav                Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL