[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] problems with pkunzip?

xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) (06/06/91)

Dear Netters:

   I just upgraded my hard disk drive to a Corner 120MB. But it seems to me
there is something wrong with it. The pkunzip program simply refuse to
unpack becasue it says hard disk is full, while the chkdsk says lots of
disk space still available. The zip file passed CRC checking on the floppy
but after I copied them to the hard disk, it fails CRC checking. (I tried
both xcopy and copy command).  I have never met these situations before,
do you know what's the reason ? (The Macfee's antivirus scan doesn't find
anything wrong. )

   My dealer says maybe the pkunzip file messed up the HD's FAT table.
Also another odd thing is that the various commands that I put in the
autoexec.bat file like DOS PATH sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work.
It's very unstable. The system get halted if I set the comspec=c:\dos\command.com, but this is exactly the same command.com as in the root directory.

   Anyone knows what's happening here?

Regards, Xiaojun.

xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) (06/06/91)

Hi, Netters:

Since I didn't receive any reply with respect to my original posting, so
I suspect that maybe a FAQ, but unfortunately, it's not. The disk full
problem is not the case because I have lots of tiny files in my root
directory. Is there anyone out there who is kind enough to answer my
question, because I want to make sure that I didn't get a bad harddisk
while my dealer says it's ok.

Following is my original posting:

>>Dear Netters:

>>   I just upgraded my hard disk drive to a Corner 120MB. But it seems to me
>>there is something wrong with it. The pkunzip program simply refuse to
>>unpack becasue it says hard disk is full, while the chkdsk says lots of
>>disk space still available. The zip file passed CRC checking on the floppy
>>but after I copied them to the hard disk, it fails CRC checking. (I tried
>>both xcopy and copy command).  I have never met these situations before,
>>do you know what's the reason ? (The Macfee's antivirus scan doesn't find
>>anything wrong. )
>>
>>   My dealer says maybe the pkunzip file messed up the HD's FAT table.
>>Also another odd thing is that the various commands that I put in the
>>autoexec.bat file like DOS PATH sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work.
>>It's very unstable. The system get halted if I set the comspec=c:\dos\command.com, but this is exactly the same command.com as in the root directory.
>>
>>   Anyone knows what's happening here?

>>Regards, Xiaojun.

xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) (06/06/91)

Dear Netters:

Since I posted my message, I received lots of replies and suggestions. It's so
kind of you.

First of all, my problem was NOT the case that I have lots of tiny files
in my root dir. Here was my reply to Ken yesterday:

>>This was not my problem at all. My root directory contains only
>>autoexec.bat , config.sys and two hidden files
>>i.e. io.com and msdos.com.
>>
>>Other files are NOT in the ROOT directories.

Secondly, my hard disk is divided into 4 parts, each 30MB, so it's not caused
by the wrong partition.

Thirdly, according to my description, the dealer was finally convinced that
there is something wrong, because after using (xcopy) copy command, and do the
comp, it reports compare error at offset ..., and no EOF stuff, they said maybe
DMA is bad, I don't know what's DMA is.

Anyway, as long as they believe there is something wrong, it's fine. I am
so frustrated because they have kept me bringing my machine back and forth
for more than 5 times in one week and keep saying the machine is fine. Sounds
like I have done something wrong.

Finally, since it's an odd phenomenon, if anybody is interested in the final
result to my harddisk drive, I will send him/her a report.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Regards, Xiaojun.

P.S. I am sorry if I made a wrong choice to do the posting in this news group,
but I don't know what's going wrong in the very begining, I just want to make
sure the problem is not caused by pkunzip. and I still post this here because
lots of you have already replied my message and I can't reply all of you
individually, many thanks.

jwhite@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Joseph White) (06/06/91)

Please excuse this posting, but I mailed this to him and it bounced
back to me.

In article <1991Jun6.002159.15482@watdragon.waterloo.edu> xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) writes:
>Hi, Netters:
>
>Since I didn't receive any reply with respect to my original posting, so
>I suspect that maybe a FAQ, but unfortunately, it's not. The disk full
>problem is not the case because I have lots of tiny files in my root
>directory. Is there anyone out there who is kind enough to answer my
>question, because I want to make sure that I didn't get a bad harddisk
>while my dealer says it's ok.
>
>Following is my original posting:
[Deleted]

Could it be that you have two many tiny files in the root disk?  DOS
has a maximum number of directory entries allowed (I don't know the
exact number, but I seem to remember something like in the 120's).
If the number of files exceeds this number, then DOS will report the
disk as full, even if you have many Mbytes free.  Try creating a directory
and moving all of the tiny files there and removing them from root.
As far as the root directory is concerned, a subdirectory is only one
file, even if it contains a million tiny files, so a general rule of
thumb is to keep as few files as possible in the root, and place the
rest in subdirectories.

Hope this helps your PKUNZIP problem, as far as the command.com problem
is concerned, I beleive DOS likes to find in in the root directory only,
and sometimes causes problems if its rold to look elsewhere for it,
but I am not sure of that, since I always keep command.com in the root
directory.

Good luck,
Joe White
jwhite@oasys.dt.navy.mil
DTRC Annapolis

6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Steelworker) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.002159.15482@watdragon.waterloo.edu> xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) writes:

>Hi, Netters:

>Since I didn't receive any reply with respect to my original posting, so
>I suspect that maybe a FAQ, but unfortunately, it's not. The disk full
>problem is not the case because I have lots of tiny files in my root
>directory. Is there anyone out there who is kind enough to answer my
>question, because I want to make sure that I didn't get a bad harddisk
>while my dealer says it's ok.

When you say " lots of tiny files in my roo directory.",
do you mean in the hundreds?  If so, then you might be running into
the limit for files in the root directory.  If that is the case, all
you need to do is to start making subdirs, and moving files there.
The maximum number in my root dir is 512, but may be different for other
HD's.

Good  luck,
Rob
6600m00n@ucsbuxa.