[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Please give type and price when posting

DAVE.JENKINS@OFFICE.WANG.COM (David E. Jenkins) (06/06/91)

I really like reading the messages about new software that has been uploaded
to wherever or are now available from wharever FTP site.  I also get a lot
out of Timo's (and other's) arm chair reviews.  Keep them both comming (IMHO).

But, (you had to know there was a but), I would REALLY like to see each of
these announcements/reviews mention the type (Free-, Share-, Charity-, Beg-,
Nag-, Ask- ware) of software and the asking or suggested price (if any).

Some things are really neat and I would check them out for myself no matter
what the asking price (OK, within reason).  But for many things the type and
asking price has real impact on whether I waste bandwith/network traffic to
fetch it for perusal.  If it looks potentially usefull and the guy wants $10
then I'll certainly check it out.  If it is one of those 'that might be nice
to have around' but he/she is asking $75 then I won't bother.

When I look through a commercial catalog I expect to see the price.  Is it
asking too much to know that up front here?

When I put something in my personal archives for possible future use
I create a one line summary like:

   PD11 - Outstanding simple push/pop change directory - Shareware $5
   Screen Peace - Nice Windows screen saver - Charityware $5 - $10 suggested

So that when I have the need for it I know immediately what it does and
how much it costs and can judge how badly I need it against what it would
cost to register it (or in some cases write one myself).

Some of the more potentially usefull things in my archives I have never ended
up using but keep around for when people ask me or a whatever type program.
Then I can say "Sure, its called xxx.  It's yyy-ware.  And it costs $zzz."

Yes, I know I'm cheap.  But the point is that a simple piece of information
available up front might help avoid shipping 2 megs across the network only
to find out that the author wants more than I am willing to spend.

I suppose I could be like some others I know and just decide "It isn't worth
what he's asking so I'll just use it anyway and not pay for it".  :-(

Sorry for starting a discussion in a .d group ;-)

P.S.  :-o   This accidently went to c.b.i.p.  Please forgive the faux pas.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/07/91)

A reader asked that the archive maintainers post prices for the
software packages that are announced as new uploads, or which are
reviewed.

Because many Usenet newsgroups, including comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, are
distributed via the Internet, we are bound by the rules which prohibit
commercial use.  Therefore you will never see a price listed for
shareware uploads announced by me or by those which I forward.  On the
Milnet side there are penalties for misuse of federal ADP facilities.

These policies are *not* negotiable.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/07/91)

In article <b6lloj.hbc@wang.com> dave.jenkins@office.wang.com writes:
>I really like reading the messages about new software that has been uploaded
>to wherever or are now available from wharever FTP site.  I also get a lot
>out of Timo's (and other's) arm chair reviews.  Keep them both comming (IMHO).
>
>But, (you had to know there was a but), I would REALLY like to see each of
>these announcements/reviews mention the type (Free-, Share-, Charity-, Beg-,
>Nag-, Ask- ware) of software and the asking or suggested price (if any).
:

Your point is appreciated, and this has been discussed before.
Suggestions of improvement are always welcome.  The catch with this
one is that it usually requires extra work, and I have to ration my
load already as it is.  Perhaps someone else might take up following
the announcements and reviews with this information when it is
missing.  Volunteers?  If so, just go ahead for common good.

   All the best, Timo

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37