[net.games.trivia] errors in Trivial Persuits

jlg@lanl.ARPA (10/30/84)

1
The most consistent and annoying error in Trivial Persuits is the problem
of incorrect categorization.  In particular, the category 'Science and Nature'
contains questions about astrology, palmistry, calendar reform, etc..  These
questions are definitely NOT related to 'Science and Nature'.  In playing the
game and noticing these off subject questions, I made the facetious remark
that "next there'll be a question about palmistry!"  And then one actually
came up - so much for sarcasm.  While I still haven't seen any questions
about ESP, phrenology, Von Daniken, Velikovsky, Lysenko, UFOs, etc., I'm
sure that they are there somewhere.

Science and Nature is such a large topic that it seems unreasonable that the
makers of the game couldn't find enough questions to fill the cards. It seems
that about a third of the questions in this category don't belong.  To be sure,
I can't decide where these particular subjects DO belong,  but it certainly
isn't Science and Nature (entertainment maybe?).

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (11/02/84)

In article <15388@lanl.ARPA> jlg@lanl.ARPA writes:
>1
>The most consistent and annoying error in Trivial Persuits is the problem
>of incorrect categorization.  In particular, the category 'Science and Nature'
>contains questions about astrology, palmistry, calendar reform, etc..  These
>questions are definitely NOT related to 'Science and Nature'.  In playing the
>game and noticing these off subject questions, I made the facetious remark
>that "next there'll be a question about palmistry!"  And then one actually
>came up - so much for sarcasm.  While I still haven't seen any questions
>about ESP, phrenology, Von Daniken, Velikovsky, Lysenko, UFOs, etc., I'm
>sure that they are there somewhere.
>
>Science and Nature is such a large topic that it seems unreasonable that the
>makers of the game couldn't find enough questions to fill the cards. It seems
>that about a third of the questions in this category don't belong.  To be sure,
>I can't decide where these particular subjects DO belong,  but it certainly
>isn't Science and Nature (entertainment maybe?).

   I think the question "How many golf balls are there on the moon?" in the
sports category is a little far-fetched.