[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] want: screen capturer

robbie@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (G.Robert Arrabito) (06/06/91)

Anyone out there know of a program which
logs screen output to a file.
In particular, I'm looking for the ms-dos equivalent of
the Unix "script" program. I want to only capture text that is written to the
screen; I'm not interested in any graphics characters that are written to the screen.
Also I want to capture the text regardless of how it is put on the screen, i.e.
not only capture the text that is written to the bios but also capture the text
that is written directly to video memory.

	Robert Arrabito,

work address:
	Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine
1133 Sheppard Aveneue West
P.O. Box 2000
North York, Ontario, Canada
M3M 3B9
phone: (416) 635-2033
fax (416) 635-2104

home address:
18 Alladin Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6L 1S5
phone: (416) 244-8195

	{decvax,attcan,watmath,...}!utzoo!dciem!robbie
        uunet!csri.toronto.edu!dciem!robbie or nrcaer!dciem!robbie
	robbie@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/06/91)

robbie@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (G.Robert Arrabito) writes:
> Anyone out there know of a program which logs screen output to a
> file.  In particular, I'm looking for the ms-dos equivalent of the
> Unix "script" program. I want to only capture text that is written to
> the screen; I'm not interested in any graphics characters that are
> written to the screen.  >Also I want to capture the text regardless of
> how it is put on the screen, i.e. not only capture the text that is
> written to the bios but also capture the text that is written
> directly to video memory.

If you had looked in the WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20] file
list you would have found:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
SCRIPT11.ZIP  B   15999  900728  Saves console output to a file

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (06/06/91)

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:

>robbie@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (G.Robert Arrabito) writes:
>> Anyone out there know of a program which logs screen output to a
>> file.  In particular, I'm looking for the ms-dos equivalent of the
>> Unix "script" program. I want to only capture text that is written to
>> the screen; I'm not interested in any graphics characters that are
>> written to the screen.  >Also I want to capture the text regardless of
				^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> how it is put on the screen, i.e. not only capture the text that is
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> written to the bios but also capture the text that is written
>> directly to video memory.

>If you had looked in the WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20] file
>list you would have found:

Well, yes, but that would be too easy.  (To look before asking)

But, seriously, SCRIPT (a very fine program, mind you, that I have been
using for some time now) won't capture direct video writes.  It's not
clear whether or not it captures output to CON that is other than stdout
or stderr (the dox aren't clear, and my testing has been so far inconclusive)

Believe me, if there is a beast out there that will do that (capture all
video writes and make sense out of them), I want it!  We have one
application in our shop that perversely does all of its output through
INT 10, fn 9, and is thus immune to all capture programs...

(To be fair, I don't think the developer actually coded the INT 10,fn 9
calls [though with these guys you never know; they do seem to be into
perversity for its own sake]; rather I think they used some kind of
windowing package and the windowing package writes to the screen thus)
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/06/91)

In article <4380@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> robbie@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (G.Robert Arrabito) writes:

>Anyone out there know of a program which
>logs screen output to a file.
:

In a case like this one, would you please first see the Frequently
Asked Questions collection /pc/ts/tsfaq21.arc, and/or the ordinary
set of file list of the active ftp sites.  If the information in
those is insufficient, then let's try anew, ok.

The purpose here is not to be unhelpful, but this is one of the
questions that keeps repeating so often, that you will benefit best
from knowing the standard search method.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

robbie@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (G.Robert Arrabito) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.135355.16618@midway.uchicago.edu> valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>
>>robbie@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (G.Robert Arrabito) writes:
>>> Anyone out there know of a program which logs screen output to a
>>> file.  In particular, I'm looking for the ms-dos equivalent of the
>>> Unix "script" program. I want to only capture text that is written to
>>> the screen; I'm not interested in any graphics characters that are
>>> written to the screen.  >Also I want to capture the text regardless of
>				^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> how it is put on the screen, i.e. not only capture the text that is
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> written to the bios but also capture the text that is written
>>> directly to video memory.
>
>>If you had looked in the WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20] file
>>list you would have found:
>
>Well, yes, but that would be too easy.  (To look before asking)
>
>But, seriously, SCRIPT (a very fine program, mind you, that I have been
>using for some time now) won't capture direct video writes.  It's not
>clear whether or not it captures output to CON that is other than stdout
>or stderr (the dox aren't clear, and my testing has been so far inconclusive)
>Believe me, if there is a beast out there that will do that (capture all
>video writes and make sense out of them), I want it!

-----------

OK sorry for causing the <FLAME>.
In my message I neglected to say that I wasn't aware of any program that captures text that is written
directly to the video memory. I apologize for this.
However I think I was explicit enough to indicate what I wanted.
As far as I can tell "script" from Simtel doesn't capture text that is written to the video!!
It only reads from the Bios.
So going back to my original posting if anyone knows of such a
screep capturer which reads from video memory then I would apprieciate
getting a copy of it.

	Robert Arrabito,

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (06/08/91)

robbie@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (G.Robert Arrabito) writes:

>In my message I neglected to say that I wasn't aware of any program that captures text that is written
>directly to the video memory. I apologize for this.
>However I think I was explicit enough to indicate what I wanted.
>As far as I can tell "script" from Simtel doesn't capture text that is written to the video!!
>It only reads from the Bios.
>So going back to my original posting if anyone knows of such a
>screep capturer which reads from video memory then I would apprieciate
>getting a copy of it.

I should point out that this is entirely non-trivial.  In fact, I don't think
it can be done in the (completely) general case.

Problem is that characters come in one at a time to INT 10, fn 9, sans
any carriage control or screen handling (all of which is done via other
INT 10 functions)  It would be a task to reconstruct the original screen
display.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)