[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Software Installation

NARA@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (N. Krishnaiyengar) (06/09/91)

Hi,

I recently purchased a 386 PC with both 3.5 (B:) and 5.25 (A:) disk drives.  I
have some of the softwares which are on 3.5 disketts, which is my drive B:
Apparently these softwares require to be installed from drive A:, which is my
5.25 disk drive.  Is there any way for me to install the software from
drive B: itself( 3.5 drive)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  My email address is:

	nara@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu

Nara

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (06/09/91)

NARA@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (N. Krishnaiyengar) writes:

>Hi,

>I recently purchased a 386 PC with both 3.5 (B:) and 5.25 (A:) disk drives.  I
>have some of the softwares which are on 3.5 disketts, which is my drive B:
>Apparently these softwares require to be installed from drive A:, which is my
>5.25 disk drive.  Is there any way for me to install the software from
>drive B: itself( 3.5 drive)?

We've had good luck using SUBST in these situations.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun8.183857.17709@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> NARA@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (N. Krishnaiyengar) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I recently purchased a 386 PC with both 3.5 (B:) and 5.25 (A:) disk drives.  I
>have some of the softwares which are on 3.5 disketts, which is my drive B:
>Apparently these softwares require to be installed from drive A:, which is my
>5.25 disk drive.  Is there any way for me to install the software from
>drive B: itself( 3.5 drive)?

  You might wish to use the DOS ASSIGN command.
  Alternately, look at the install programs, specifically any batch file
that might be present.  Many times, the batch file calls for install from
a given drive, and all that is needed is some editing to correct things.

NARA@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (N. Krishnaiyengar) (06/10/91)

Hi,

I recently enquired about installing softwares from drive b:.  I got several
suggestions from many people.  I would like to thank all of you for taking
your time in helping me out.  In case of any interest to others, I can
apparently do what I wanted to do by using either the ASSIGN or SUBST
command.

Nara