[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Bad Sector Marker

larry@boris.webo.dg.com ( Larry Rogers) (06/06/91)

I have a sloooooooow sector on my hard disk.  I'll go to get a file
using the sector and the disk will flash for a few seconds and then
the file will suddenly appear after a few seconds (sometimes about
30).  Anyway, I want to mark the sector or cluster as bad.  PCTOOLS
will only do this if its diskfix program determines a cluster is bad.
However, all the slow sector does is slow the surface scan, which
says the sector is good, no matter how long it takes to read it.

Anyway, is there a program, preferable PD or shareware that can
mark a sector/cluster on a hard disk as bad in the fat.

Thanx,

--
Larry Rogers
larry@boris.webo.dg.com

dave@tygra.Michigan.COM (David Conrad) (06/10/91)

In article <LARRY.91Jun5174705@boris.webo.dg.com> larry@boris.webo.dg.com ( Larry Rogers) writes:

>I have a sloooooooow sector on my hard disk.  I'll go to get a file
>using the sector and the disk will flash for a few seconds and then
>the file will suddenly appear after a few seconds (sometimes about
>30).  Anyway, I want to mark the sector or cluster as bad.  PCTOOLS
>will only do this if its diskfix program determines a cluster is bad.
>However, all the slow sector does is slow the surface scan, which
>says the sector is good, no matter how long it takes to read it.
>
>Anyway, is there a program, preferable PD or shareware that can
>mark a sector/cluster on a hard disk as bad in the fat.
>
>Thanx,
>
>--
>Larry Rogers
>larry@boris.webo.dg.com

Norton Utilities can do this, either via the DT-Disk Test program using the
/Cn  Mark Cluster n as Bad switch, or from the FAT editor in the NU program.

At least, Norton Utilities 4.5 Advanced Edition can do this.  If you are
using 5.0 I suggest you upgrade to 4.5 right away.  :-)

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Peter Norton Computing, just a satisfied
user of Norton Utilities.
--
David R. Conrad
dave@michigan.com