[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PC UNCOMPRESS is on which ftp site? NOT in FAQ!!!

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au (06/06/91)

Where is an ftp site for UNCOMPRESS for the PC?

It is definately not COMPR16.

This is definately not answered in FAQ 1.3!!

Thank you.
Ray
--
University of South Australia   | Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
P.O. Box 1                      | Ghing thien me how, ming thien gung me how.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/07/91)

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>Where is an ftp site for UNCOMPRESS for the PC?
>It is definately not COMPR16.
>This is definately not answered in FAQ 1.3!!

The official Unix version of compress/uncompress is available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20].  We obtained this directly
from the author.  The MS-DOS port uses the same source as the Unix
version (with ifdefs, of course).

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
COMP430D.ZIP  B   20241  901013  Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat
COMP430S.ZIP  B   70872  910224  C src: Unix-compat. 16-bit compress/uncompress

If you had downloaded the SIMTEL20 msdos file list you would have had
this information.

PLEASE download pd1:<msdos.filedocs>SIMIBM.ARC (comma-delimited) or
                                    SIMLIST.ARC (text formatted)

I spend a lot of time updating these files on a weekly basis.
What good is offering an index if nobody uses it?

If you are in Australia or New Zealand, you'll find SIMTEL20 files
mirrored on sol.deakin.oz.au.  In North America the mirror site is
wuarchive.wustl.edu.  In Finland, the mirror site is nic.funet.fi.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/07/91)

:
>This is definately not answered in FAQ 1.3!!

You are definitely right.  It is not answered in FAQ 1.3 but 23 :-).

From: ts@uwasa.fi
Subject: MsDos compress for .Z files, etc
Date: Sat 18 May 00:00:23 1991

23. *****
 Q: Where can I find compress for MsDos to handle .Z files?

 A: Unix has compress, uncompress and zcat programs to pack or
unpack files which are given the .Z extension. These files can also
be handled under MsDos using for example /pc/unix/comp430d.zip,
which is available from anonymous FTP sites like garbo.uwasa.fi,
SIMTEL20, etc.
   There is one useful trick if you uncompress on MsDos such text
files that have been made on Unix with compress. Unix and MsDos have
different eolns (end of lines). You can extract a Unix compressed
text file as follows
      comp430d -d -c YourZFile | unix2pc > YourOutputFile
where unix2pc.exe is taken from /pc/ts/tsfilt16.arc (or whatever is
the current verion number).
   While we are at it let's look at two similar questions of MsDos
counterparts for Unix file handling. Uuencoding and uudecoding is a
common method to handle files so that they can be sent as ordinary
ascii email. There are several utilities for uu(en/de)coding files
on a PC in our /pc/decode directory. One that I can recommend in
uuexe413.zip, which has an option to use formats like the one
employed in the comp.binaries.ibm.pc binary postings.
   Yet another often queried counterpart for Unix is tar for MsDos.
I have not used this option myself, but our directory /pc/unix
should have something on this.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (06/08/91)

In article <16451.284e2634@levels.sait.edu.au> marwk@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
=Where is an ftp site for UNCOMPRESS for the PC?
=
=It is definately not COMPR16.

If you copy compr16.exe to uncomp.exe, it will uncompress. Or you can try
	compr16 -h

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

eric@cs.fau.edu (Eric Thav) (06/11/91)

>If you had downloaded the SIMTEL20 msdos file list you would have had
>this information.

>[...]

>I spend a lot of time updating these files on a weekly basis.
>What good is offering an index if nobody uses it?

Believe me, Keith, we use it.  Speaking for myself, I am glad that you
and Timo put the effort you do into posting your upload announcements
and creating indexes.

--
.signature not found, format hard disk instead? (Y/N)_
Eric L. Thav                Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL

jewell@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Larry Jewell) (06/11/91)

>If you had downloaded the SIMTEL20 msdos file list you would have had
>this information.
>
>I spend a lot of time updating these files on a weekly basis.
>What good is offering an index if nobody uses it?

Hey!, I quite literally carry a copy with me whenever I'm on campus, so
don't quit now!  You save manyears of fumbling with the index, and a LOT
of time hooked on to your machines!
   Tell you what, let me know who's not using the index and I'll make them
go to New Kids On The Block concerts until they promise to do so!

Larry W. Jewell (ex-USN)  JEWELL@PURCCMACE   jewell@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Primary-claimer:  I have not authorized Purdue to share my opinions.
Maintainer of SOC.VETERANS faq, send me the "straight skinny" for inclusion.