[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] QFIX101.ZIP screen restore

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/11/91)

>From: Shaun Case <shaunc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Subject: Re: Shareware is junk
>To: Timo Salmi <ts%uwasa.fi@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 12:04:25 PDT
>

>Hello Timo.  A while ago I wrote to you about a program I wrote called
>QFIX that saves and restores the screen to disk.  You mentioned that
>you have a similar program.  My small improvement was working in screen
>modes up to 132 x 60.  You said you would like me to submit it.
>
>I have played with it some more, and made a few changes.  It used to work
>only on my video card (Video 7 Super VGA) and CGA/EGA/VGA cards.  Now,
>if it can't get a standard mode (like 80*25, 40*25, etc) it just saves a
>block of 132*60.  This is a very inelegant approach, but has worked on
>all systems I have tried it on (about 4.)
>
>It also restores the cursor position, even outside the normal 80*25 screen,
>by a custom put cursor routine I wrote. gotoxy() would not place the cursor
>outside 80*25.
>
>Future versions will support MDA, and will save the screen to EMS instead
>of a file, if it is available.
>
>I have no access to FTP, so here is the program in uuencoded zip form.
>Borland C 2.0 source is included, and the whole package is in the
>public domain.
>
>I also have a Huffman encoder/decoder and 2 versions of an RLE encodeder/
>decoder that I have written and put in the public domain, if you would
>like them for the uwasa archives.
>
>Shaun.

Thank you Shaun,
   Your program is now available as /pc/editor/qfix101.zip.  Even if
the utility is obviously a general purpose screen restore program, I
put it is /pc/editor directory after some though, because the
documentation is so obviously geared to the QEDIT editor.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37