[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for recommendations on Backup software.

velasco@magilla.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (06/09/91)

I'm looking for recommendations on good p.d. or s.w. hard drive backup
programs.  I'm interested in your personal experience.  I have an AT
system with 3.5" and 5.25" HD drives.  I have DOS v. 4.1.  Are these
programs any better than the one that comes with the latest DOS?

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |
/\__/\(_/\/__)\/ (_/_(/_/|_  |_______________________________________Dan_8:16_|

glennm@rover.enet.dec.com (Glenn Meyer) (06/09/91)

In article <velasco.676409853@magilla>, velasco@magilla.ucsd.edu
(Gabriel Velasco) writes:

> I'm looking for recommendations on good p.d. or s.w. hard drive backup
> programs.  I'm interested in your personal experience.  I have an AT
> system with 3.5" and 5.25" HD drives.  I have DOS v. 4.1.  Are these
> programs any better than the one that comes with the latest DOS?

I haven't seen any good (fast, easy to use and reliable) public domain and
shareware programs. FastBack is by far the best backup program I've used on
an AT or 80x86 system. You should be able to get that for less than $100, and
yes, it is much, much better than the backup program that comes with the
latest DOS.

Glenn Meyer
glennm@decwrl.dec.com

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.002624.21832@pa.dec.com> glennm@rover.enet.dec.com (Glenn Meyer) writes:
>In article <velasco.676409853@magilla>, velasco@magilla.ucsd.edu
>(Gabriel Velasco) writes:
>>
>> I'm looking for recommendations on good p.d. or s.w. hard drive backup
>> programs.  I'm interested in your personal experience.  I have an AT
>> system with 3.5" and 5.25" HD drives.  I have DOS v. 4.1.  Are these
>> programs any better than the one that comes with the latest DOS?
>
>I haven't seen any good (fast, easy to use and reliable) public domain and
>shareware programs. FastBack is by far the best backup program I've used on
>an AT or 80x86 system. You should be able to get that for less than $100, and
>yes, it is much, much better than the backup program that comes with the
>latest DOS.

I've been favorably impressed with Norton Backup.  I haven't seen the latest
version of Fastback, but I used both tools last winter when my company
moved.  I found that Norton would install on some machines that Fastback
would not and that Norton consistently backed up faster and with fewer
floppies.  The one bug I have found in Norton occurs when logging all of the
files on 4 volumes totalling 120mb and where one of the directories contained
more than 1000 files.  It was easy to work around.  Recently I've had to do
backups and restores quite a bit on my machine here at home as I've been
doing testing on several versions of DOS and OS/2.  Most recently, I backed
up 80mb to 40 3.5" disks in under an hour.  Had the disks already been
used for a backup (and so formatted by the backup program) the backup would
have taken significantly less time.

Your mileage may vary.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com
Principal Software Engineer, Easel Corporation

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/10/91)

In article <velasco.676409853@magilla> velasco@magilla.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) writes:

   I'm looking for recommendations on good p.d. or s.w. hard drive backup
   programs.  I'm interested in your personal experience.  I have an AT
   system with 3.5" and 5.25" HD drives.  I have DOS v. 4.1.  Are these
   programs any better than the one that comes with the latest DOS?

   --
PC Mag (the current issue, or the last one) had a fairly complete
review of backup software.  All of the ones reviews are better than

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (06/11/91)

In article <velasco.676409853@magilla> velasco@magilla.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) writes:
>I'm looking for recommendations on good p.d. or s.w. hard drive backup
>programs.  I'm interested in your personal experience.  I have an AT
>system with 3.5" and 5.25" HD drives.  I have DOS v. 4.1.  Are these
>programs any better than the one that comes with the latest DOS?

Of course after the recent review in PC Magazine, the Norton backup will
be recommended by many.  But I would be wary:  I bought the original version
for a ridiculous price (considering that it's a single purpose piece of
software...) and couldn't get it to work on my true blue IBM model 70.  When
I phoned for help, after three quarters of an hour, they told me to send them
a printout which can be obtained by doing control <some letter which I forget>.
This produced over half an inch of paper which I sent them.  I got absolutely
no answer from them.   A few months later, I called again to see if they could
help me, but again no solution.  They were not the least bit apologetic that
I couldn't get it to run, and when I suggested that maybe they could provide
an upgrade at minimal price when it was ready, the answer was no.  I feel I
was solidly ripped off...   I won't say on the net what I feel like doing
when I see those ads with Norton and his smug smile!   Carl Riehm.