[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help with pkunzip 0.92

eretherf@mcs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) (06/06/91)

I have downloaded a bunch of files <IN BINARY MODE> from cica in Indiana.
When I use unzip I get :

PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: somefile

How do I fix such a thing???

Thanks for your help!!

Eric Von Retherford

jrusso@sandstone.wpi.edu (Jeffrey K Russo) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.140854.7814@mcs.kent.edu> eretherf@mcs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) writes:
>I have downloaded a bunch of files <IN BINARY MODE> from cica in Indiana.
>When I use unzip I get :
>
>PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: somefile
>
>How do I fix such a thing???
>
>Thanks for your help!!
>
>Eric Von Retherford

Well, if your subject line is correct (0.92) then you've got an old version of
PKZIP/UNZIP. The latest, I believe, is 1.1. Chances are that the file you're
trying to unzip was zip'd with 1.1 and 0.92 can't handle it.

Jeff

	       --------------------------------------
		Jeff Russo	(jrusso@wpi.wpi.edu)
		Worcester Polytechnic Institute
		Worcester, MA  01609
	       --------------------------------------

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
 universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Calvin

eric@cs.fau.edu (Eric Thav) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun6.140854.7814@mcs.kent.edu> eretherf@mcs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) writes:
>I have downloaded a bunch of files <IN BINARY MODE> from cica in Indiana.
>When I use unzip I get :
>
>PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: somefile
>
>How do I fix such a thing???

The problem is that you are using an old (very old, in fact) version of PKZIP
that does not handle files that were compressed using the implosion method
introduced in PKZIP 1.10.  The fix?  Upgrade to PKZIP 1.10, its available
as PKZ110EU.EXE in many sites on the Internet including PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>
on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

--
.signature not found, format hard disk instead? (Y/N)_
Eric L. Thav                Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL

nevries@cs.ruu.nl (Nico de Vries) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun6.140854.7814@mcs.kent.edu> eretherf@mcs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) writes:

>I have downloaded a bunch of files <IN BINARY MODE> from cica in Indiana.
>When I use unzip I get :
>
>PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: somefile
>
>How do I fix such a thing???
>
>Thanks for your help!!
>
>Eric Von Retherford
You probably need PKZIP 1.10