[net.games.trivia] errors in trivial pursuit

walker@unc.UUCP (10/23/84)

While on a long trip this past weekend, we discovered what we think are
several errors:

Q: How many stars in Orion's belt?

Listed answer: 3

Real answer: 2.  One of the three is a nebula.

Q: Whose hand did Hitler refuse to shake at the 1936 Olympics?

Listed Answer:  Jesse Owens

Real answer: The entire name escaped us, but it was Jackie Robinson's younger
	     brother.  This we got from a man who had been in the German
	     army in WWII, and he was POSITIVE of his facts.

Q: Who led the Israelites into the promised land?

Listed Answer: Moses

Real Answer: Joshua.  Moses was not allowed to lead the Israelites into the
	     promised land because he had sinned in killing an Egyptian who
	     had raped one of his people.

I would appreciate feedback on whether these are accurate or not.

black@unc.UUCP (10/24/84)

  Regarding the aforementioned errors -

     The reason Moses did not lead the Israelites into the Promised Land
  is because he struck the rock to get water instead of talking to
  it as he was supposed to.

     It was definitely Jesse Owens who Hitler would not shake hands with.
  There may have been others, also.

  -----------
    "I AM the night!"
  -----------

cs4911ay@unm-cvax.UUCP (10/25/84)

[It is pitch black.  You are likely to be eaten by a -- ]

	There are three stars in Orion's belt.  The Great Nebula of Orion
(M-42, I think, but I'm not sure) is in his sword.
--

						Mike Conley
						U.N.M., Albuquerque, NM

	"Think of it as evolution in action."

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (10/26/84)

--
A few weeks ago, someone mentioned a TP question, "Name 3 countries
with names beginning with 'V'."  The poster claimed to know 4.
I don't own a TP game (nor play it much), so I'm dying to know
what the 3 (not to mention 4) are.  After Venezuela and Vietnam,
I can't imagine "Volta" would count, since it's really "Upper Volta."
There is a tiny but independent island in the Pacific called
Venuatu (might be "Vanuatu"), but with all their other errors mentioned,
and this country's independence less than 5 years old, I can't
imagine that the TP developers knew about it.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

lando@aecom.UUCP (10/31/84)

> While on a long trip this past weekend, we discovered what we think are
> several errors:

(some of letter skipped here for brevity)>

> Q: Who led the Israelites into the promised land?
>
> Listed Answer: Moses
>
> Real Answer: Joshua.  Moses was not allowed to lead the Israelites into the
> 	     promised land because he had sinned in killing an Egyptian who
> 	     had raped one of his people.

> I would appreciate feedback on whether these are accurate or not.

It is correct that Joshua, not Moses was the one who actually led
the Israelites in, however for a slightly different reason.
Moses was not allowed in for his only sin- striking the rock in the
desert when God asked him to speak to it. (A seperate story). The
Egyptian he killed was not a sin, as that instance allowed that action.
In addition, the Egyption hadn't raped a Jew, but was a slave driver
who was whipping an innocent man to his death.

	It's the thought that counts.

			Zvi (lando@aecom)

rob@ctvax.UUCP (10/31/84)

A recent issue of The Atlantic (September?), had an article on the numerous
errors in Trivial Pursuit. It appears the vendor is actively
trying to correct them.

Rob Spray
...allegra!convex!ctvax!rob

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (11/02/84)

> Q: How many stars in Orion's belt?
>
> Listed answer: 3
>
> Real answer: 2.  One of the three is a nebula.

    If that nebula didn't have a star in the middle of it, it couldn't be
seen by us, as it wouldn't shine.

Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxl!Mhuxt!js2j

ltn@lems.UUCP (Les Niles) (11/23/84)

In article <mhuxt.330> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
> Q: How many stars in Orion's belt?
>
> Listed answer: 3
>
> Real answer: 2.  One of the three is a nebula.

Sorry, the nebula is in Orion's sword.  The belt is three stars.