[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] documentation printing

arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/11/91)

Shareware and PD programs often contain a file 'printdoc.bat' or
some such, which prints out the documentation file.  I've noticed
that most of the time these work by 'copy program.doc prn' rather
than 'print program.doc'.  The problem is that copy-to-prn locks
up my system until the file is printed, whereas 'print' would
spool so I could do other stuff while the file was printing
(this is under MS-DOS 3.3+; I don't know if other versions behave
the same way).

Is there a good reason for using copy-to-prn rather than 'print'?
At best it's an annoyance; at worst, it gives a bad first impression
(which is the sort of thing that makes users less inclined to pay a
shareware registration fee...)

Granted one could always go in and print the docs manually -- but then
why bother to include the batch file in the first place?
Raymond W. Arritt                     |
Assistant Professor                   |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        |  "People never travel to look
University of Kansas                  |   at flat landscapes."
Lawrence, KS  66045                   |     - from _Stop Making Sense_ ,
arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu             |       by the Talking Heads
arritt@walrus.phsx.ukans.edu          |
arritt@ukanvax.bitnet                 |

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.105816.31353@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
:
>Is there a good reason for using copy-to-prn rather than 'print'?
:

Print invokes a resident program which will stay in memory thus
reserving some of it (unless you use mark-release).  Whether that is
of consequence or not is another question depending on your
configuration and preferences, but that is the technical difference.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

wirzeniu@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Lars Wirzenius) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.105816.31353@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Is there a good reason for using copy-to-prn rather than 'print'?

It's worse than that: Neither might work, as the printer may be
connected to another port than prn:, it might not like the document as
provided (e.g., a Postscript printer would need a translation from ASCII
to Postscript first), and the paper might be formatted for a different
size of paper (this has hit me almost every time, American and Finnish
paper sizes seem to differ, Finnish is longer).

This alone would not be that much of a problem, since the document
printing batch file could say that it requires such and such a printer
and such and such a paper.  If you have something else, then just
reformat the documentation and print it by hand, right? Wrong.  More
often than not, the only form of documentation is the pre-formatted file
filled with unknown control code sequences.

--
Lars Wirzenius     wirzeniu@cc.helsinki.fi

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun) (06/12/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>In article <1991Jun11.105816.31353@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>:
>>Is there a good reason for using copy-to-prn rather than 'print'?
>:

>Print invokes a resident program which will stay in memory thus
>reserving some of it (unless you use mark-release).  Whether that is
>of consequence or not is another question depending on your
>configuration and preferences, but that is the technical difference.

>Prof. Timo Salmi
>Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37
>School of Business Studies, University of Vaasa, SF-65101, Finland
>Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: gado::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

Yes and no. DOS PRINT does more than eats up memory. PRINT allows background
spooling and printing. A good reason for not using COPY is if you do not
want to wait till COPY finishes sending to PRN before it returns control to
you. With DOS PRINT, you can queue several files to print and immediately
resume what you are doing. It is "multi-tasking" in a sense (note the quotes).
As far as I know, at least from DOS 3.30 onwards, PRINT allows you to specify
the spooling buffer size, the "foreground/background" job time ratio (again in
quotes, PRINT is a TSR and it's using interrupt, so in fact it should be
called foreground/suspend).

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.toronto.BITNET

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (06/12/91)

(Raymond W. Arritt) arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

}Shareware and PD programs often contain a file 'printdoc.bat' or
}some such, which prints out the documentation file.  I've noticed
}that most of the time these work by 'copy program.doc prn' rather
}than 'print program.doc'.  The problem is that copy-to-prn locks
}up my system until the file is printed, whereas 'print' would
}spool so I could do other stuff while the file was printing
}(this is under MS-DOS 3.3+; I don't know if other versions behave
}the same way).

}Is there a good reason for using copy-to-prn rather than 'print'?
}At best it's an annoyance; at worst, it gives a bad first impression
}(which is the sort of thing that makes users less inclined to pay a
}shareware registration fee...)

}Granted one could always go in and print the docs manually -- but then
}why bother to include the batch file in the first place?

There's a very good reason - if print has not already been installed (it's
a TSR) and the batch file is called from another program, such as a shell,
then, at best you will get an error message saying that the you cann't
install a TSR at this time, at worst, the system will hang. This, I
imagine will give an even worse impression. The copy ... version is,
mostly, safe.

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

acrosby@uafhp.uark.edu (Albert Crosby) (06/12/91)

My $.02 worth is that using copy-to-prn is the better solution for the reason
that Prof. Salmi indicates:  print loads a memory resident program.  Sure,
print allows you to multi-task in a limited fashion (and queue jobs, etc.),
but most people would prefer not to have their environment modified UNKNOWINGLY
by a batch file.

If it's really a batch file, and it's a big deal to you, just edit the batch file and replace the copy-to-prn to print.

On a side note, I have seen some "compressed" doc printers that allowed you to
specify the port.  Not needful very often, but a nice touch for the author to
include.

Albert

(Yes, I have no .signature, I have no .signature today!)

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (06/13/91)

In article <6711@uafhp.uark.edu>, acrosby@uafhp (Albert Crosby) writes:
>My $.02 worth is that using copy-to-prn is the better solution for the reason
>that Prof. Salmi indicates:  print loads a memory resident program.

Agreed.

And what if print.com isn't in the user's path?  Say, if the batch
file is being run from a floppy-only system?  Or if the user has
deleted print.com (like me).  (For example, if I'm on a network that
automatically spools print jobs to a pooled printer.)

And what if the batch file is executed from a secondary shell?  DOS
gets mighty confused when TSR's are installed from secondary shells.
(Usually forcing a reboot.)

And besides, the fact that it is a TSR means that the batch file has a
side-effect.  My development machine needs all the memory it can get
so I can run my debugger.  I would be very annoyed if a purportedly
harmless batch program ran a TSR, which then forced me to reboot my
system just so I can get that memory back.

In summary:  `copy file prn' works.  It doesn't work well, but it
works.

`print file' works sometimes.  Not always.  (And I would even venture
to say `rarely'.)  And sometimes it forces the user to reboot.

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.105816.31353@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> Shareware and PD programs often contain a file 'printdoc.bat' or
> some such, which prints out the documentation file.

Yes, and it's often formatted for the local printer of the sender, using
for example some native-american "standard" paper size instead of our local
native-european "standard" A4... :-)

> Is there a good reason for using copy-to-prn rather than 'print'?
> At best it's an annoyance; at worst, it gives a bad first impression
> (which is the sort of thing that makes users less inclined to pay a
> shareware registration fee...)

DOS' "print" is a TSR.  Let's say I connect to some main-frame or Unix system
to read the News, download an archive and shell to DOS to have a look at it.
If I then execute a batch file loading the TSR "print", it's nothing but
trouble!  The memory portion will not be released when you exit COMMAND...

How's that for a first bad impression?  When the system hangs, you'll think
the package is really broken, or that it carries a virus.  A simple DOS
message stating that the printer is not reachable is not nearly as bad.

Markus G. Fischer

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) (06/14/91)

> > > Is there a good reason for using copy-to-prn rather than 'print'?
> >
> > Print invokes a resident program which will stay in memory thus
> > reserving some of it (unless you use mark-release).
>
> DOS PRINT does more than eats up memory. PRINT allows background
> spooling and printing.

So to make sure I don't make holes in memory, I include
        print /d:PRN /b:16384 > nul
in my AUTOEXEC.BAT, then it is there.  It took me years to discover that
some of my machine crashes were caused by using PRINT after I had pushed
above an application!
---
--
Hylton Boothroyd        h.boothroyd@cu.warwick.uk.ac