[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Could I be doing this wrong

carty@dteng1.enet.dec.com (Hugh Carty) (06/13/91)

Have read the FAQ and dis all according to plan,but still no joy

  Got  some .ZIP files from  SIMTEL via mail server.
  Came in parts1 and 2.
   From mail I did s 1 part01
                             s 2 part02
  did a quit from mail.

  I edited the part01 and left it as follows
   begin 600 SPARKL28.ZIP
M4$L#!`H`!@`&`&V*N!8H:+>T"U0``)()`0`+````4U!!4DM,12Y$3T-A"GL'.....
 and part02 as follows
 (&AH:&AH:&AHZ
`
end
 I did cat part02 >> part01

 Then I ran /bin/sh combine part*
  which returned
  #! /bin/sh
        sed '/^END/,/^BEGIN/d' $* | uudecode
+ + uudecodesed
/^END/,/^BEGIN/d part01

  Now this a .ZIP file so on this machine ( a Unix 4.3 BSD ) i have
unzip file whcih I ran

  This came back with

  ayfis5.ayo.dec.com> unzip part01
Unable to find a valid header signature. Aborting.

  This has happened on all the files recieved from Simtel ; so it has
got be what I 'm doing

   wrong.You see I have no modem,serial,tcp.ip,pc nfs to a pc so I have
to run these .ZIP

   through unzip on the Unix box.But this unzip file has worked with
other .zip archives

   Could someone please help me as I now can get this stuff rom the net
but can't drive the

    machine.

  Hugh Carty
  ayfis5.ayo.dec.com

i know this is probably  silly but I have failed so many times doing
this it;s really frustrating me

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/14/91)

The combine script for multi-part uuencoded mailings received from
LISTSERV cannot be run through the "combine" script used for cbip
postings.  Use this script "lcombine" instead:

#! /bin/sh
cat $* | sed '/--- End /,/--- Part/d' | uudecode

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

svirsky@ttidca.TTI.COM (Bill Svirsky) (06/14/91)

To: carty@dteng1.enet.dec.com (Hugh Carty)
Subject: Re: Could I be doing this wrong
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

In article <1991Jun13.162222.26396@hollie.rdg.dec.com> you write:
>   Got  some .ZIP files from  SIMTEL via mail server.
>   Came in parts1 and 2.
>    From mail I did s 1 part01
>                              s 2 part02
>   did a quit from mail.

No need to do any of the following:
    >   I edited the part01 and left it as follows
    >    begin 600 SPARKL28.ZIP
    > M4$L#!`H`!@`&`&V*N!8H:+>T"U0``)()`0`+````4U!!4DM,12Y$3T-A"GL'.....
    >  and part02 as follows
    >  (&AH:&AH:&AHZ
    > `
    > end
    >  I did cat part02 >> part01

The following simple script will concatenate all of the parts, stripping
out the mail header and trailer garbage, and pump the result into
uudecode. This script ONLY works for mail from the simtel list servers.

#! /bin/sh
sed s/^------* End of part/,/^------* Part/d' $* | uudecode

If you name the script combinsimtel, although I don't know any
self-respecting Unix programmer that would use a name that long (: (I
use uudsim myself), you would only need to say combinsimtel part*. One
thing to keep in mind here is how Unix orders files when you use
wildcards. Make sure that you use the same number of digits in the
sequential portion of the filenames; part9 DOES NOT come before part10,
part09 comes before part10.

uudecode uses the information in the "begin" line to create it's output
file. In your case, you would end up with a file named SPARKL28.ZIP.
This, not part01, is the zip file. Unfortunately, now another problem
crops up. The version of unzip I have for Unix looks for a file ending
in .zip, not .ZIP. Unix, unlike MSDOS, is case sensitive. So you have
to rename the file to end with .zip, such as sparkl28.zip. If you use
the following slightly more complex script instead of the one above, it
will automatically lowercase the entire filename - in your case, to
sparkl28.zip.

#! /bin/sh
sed '/^begin/y/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz/
s/^begin 0600/begin 0644/
/^------* End of part/,/^------* Part/d' $* | uudecode

Now you should be able to say unzip -v sparkl28
--
Bill Svirsky, Citicorp+TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597