[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for Investment-Tracking Program

segre@cs.cornell.edu (Alberto M. Segre) (06/15/91)

I'm looking for PC software that will allow me to track investments in
stock funds, bond funds and the like. Ideally, the software would
compute annualized yield on investment after having input dated
transactions.

I've looked already at most of what's available along these lines on
SIMTEL and GARBO with little success. The best I've found so far is
SPRM24.ZIP, which is not too bad, except it only reports a gross
percentage profit/loss that is independent of the timing of
purchases/sales (e.g., if you earn $1 on a $100 investment it always
reports 1% profit regardless of whether you've held the investment a
day, a week, or a year).

PD/Shareware is preferable, although I'm not averse to buying
commercial software if its good.

Any suggestions?

-alberto

=====

Alberto M. Segre
Assistant Professor
segre@cs.cornell.edu
Department of Computer Science
Upson Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY  14853-7501

Tel (607) 255-9196
Fax (607) 255-4428

maher@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Patrick Maher) (06/15/91)

PFROI is an excellent shareware investment tracking program, that computes
true internal rate of return, capital gains, graphs, etc..

I got it from the AAII bulletin board in Chicago. I see its not on
Simtel, but it should be. It is on PC-sig disk 360, which one can ftp
from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, file /pc/sig/disk0360.zip

This is version 2.4. If you register ($29 as I recall) you get version
4, which can automatically download prices, and does other nice things.

I have no connection with this except as a satisfied user.

Patrick Maher                                      Department of Philosophy
p-maher@uiuc.edu                                   University of Illinois

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.180210.26669@cs.cornell.edu> segre@cs.cornell.edu (Alberto M. Segre) writes:
>I'm looking for PC software that will allow me to track investments in
>stock funds, bond funds and the like. Ideally, the software would
>compute annualized yield on investment after having input dated
>transactions.
>
>I've looked already at most of what's available along these lines on
>SIMTEL and GARBO with little success. The best I've found so far is
>SPRM24.ZIP, which is not too bad, except it only reports a gross
>percentage profit/loss that is independent of the timing of

I am sorry that I do not have answer to this question (except the
very week one to try to utilize spreadsheets).  But I would like to
compliment the poster of this questions for the exemplary way of
setting the query.  He has looked trough the file lists, tells what
he has found for the benefit of other readers, and only then puts
forward his question in the most clear and sensible manner.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37