[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] power requirements for 286

mm459504@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Michael Miller) (06/08/91)

I asked this about a week ago and no one bothered to follow up on it, perhaps
I'm talking to the wrong news group? if so please feel free to suggest another
one, here goes:

can a 150W power supply adequately power the following:

			286-12 CPU
			EGA card
			1.2Mb FDD
			32Mb HD
			2400 baud Modem
			Buss mouse

comon, guys, don't all answer at once!

/...Night/There once was a lady named Bright/ Whose Speed was much faster,
much faster than light/She departed one day/in a relative way/and returned
on the previous...
mm459504@longs.lance.colostate.edu|Mike Miller|Discman| and on and on.....

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/10/91)

In article <15390@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> mm459504@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Michael Miller) writes:

   I asked this about a week ago and no one bothered to follow up on it, perhaps
   I'm talking to the wrong news group? if so please feel free to suggest another
   one, here goes:

   can a 150W power supply adequately power the following:

			   286-12 CPU
			   EGA card
			   1.2Mb FDD
			   32Mb HD
			   2400 baud Modem
			   Buss mouse

   comon, guys, don't all answer at once!

Well, I've got the following stuck in an origional IBM PC case with
the origional 63w power supply

286-12 with 2.5 meg
st238 (30 meg rlled st225) and controller
1.4 meg fd and controller
vga card
2 serial ports on a card.

No problem so far.

I've also stuck a Plus 20 meg hard card in here as well at the same
time, though I don't run with this often.

bruce

--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

eric@cs.fau.edu (Eric Thav) (06/12/91)

In article <15390@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> mm459504@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Michael Miller) writes:

>I asked this about a week ago and no one bothered to follow up on it, perhaps
>I'm talking to the wrong news group? if so please feel free to suggest another
>one, here goes:

On this end, this newsgroup is comp.BINARIES.ibm.pc.d (caps added for
emphasis).  The .d stands for discussion.  As such, I believe it would mean
that this news group is for the discussion of BINARIES for the IBM PC
(and compatibles) that happen to be posted to the comp.binaries.ibm.pc
group.  So, in effect, yes, this is the wrong newsgroup.

I would suggest comp.sys.HARDWARE.ibm.pc (don't use caps when specifying
the actual news group) as the correct newsgroup to ask that question.

However, I do not see why a 150W power supply couldn't power all of that.

--
.signature not found, format hard disk instead? (Y/N)_
Eric L. Thav                Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL

danhf@vaxc.aud.auc.dk (Niels Henrik Faber) (06/13/91)

Well, I have used a 150W power supply with a configuration something
like yours (I cant remember exactly), without any problems until

  THE DIODE BRIDGE IN THE POWER SUPPLY BLEW UP

However, being from Denmark (that is in Scandinavia, ignorants) I used
it on 220V, 60 Hz. And when I opened the thing (having put out the
fire :)), I found that a lot of the components were 200V (on the power
side) and underdimensioned on the low voltage side as well.

  So to answer your question: I think it will work fine, but if you
have a very cheap power supply you might run into problems. And
unfurtunately this is a place where many producers of PCs saves a buck
or two.

Nils-Henrik Ballegaard Faber

E-mail : danhf@vaxa.aud.auc.dk
Work  :  Fredrik Bajersvej 5, 214     Mail   : Rolighedsvej 28
         DK - 9220 Aalborg Ost                 DK - 9400 Norresundby
Phone :  +45 98 15 42 11 - 4030                +45 98 19 03 63
--

fredex@wizvax.methuen.ma.us (Fred Smith) (06/15/91)

>I asked this about a week ago and no one bothered to follow up on it, perhaps
>I'm talking to the wrong news group? if so please feel free to suggest another
>one, here goes:

Well, as has been said, this aint the right group . . . but, I am running
an XT clone which has one of those no-name Taiwanese 150W power supplies
in it (it is now over three years old) with TWO hard disks, two floppies,
two serial ports, an internal modem, two parallel ports, a math
co-processor, a bus mouse, hercules clone card, and Bernoulli Box (external).

I, too, wondered if the suppy was up to the task, but so far it hasn't
produced any smoke. (I must admit that I cheated--I replaced the original
teeny-weeny cooling fan with the mother of all fans which blows a regular
gale through the computer and roars like mad. At least it says cool!)

Fred Smith
uunet!samsung!wizvax!fcshome!fredex

In article <DANHF.91Jun13171856@vaxa.vaxc.aud.auc.dk> danhf@vaxc.aud.auc.dk (Niels Henrik Faber) writes:

| Well, I have used a 150W power supply with a configuration something
| like yours (I cant remember exactly), without any problems until
|
|   THE DIODE BRIDGE IN THE POWER SUPPLY BLEW UP

  How about the moderator blows up? I have sent polite messages to about
everyone who has posted on this, but it keeps on... please take this to
the hardware group.

  Thanks.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX