[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] <None>

sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) (04/09/90)

I am trying to use emacs on a Unix machine when logged in from my PC.
What terminal emulations will work?  When I try vt100, emacs says that
this protocol is not powerful enough.  Of those types of terminal
emulation that do work, are any available in the newest release of
Kermit?

thanks,
        steve

Regan.Ryan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Regan Ryan) (06/13/90)

Hi there,

 is there anyone out there who could tell me how a .PCX

 file is formatted (e.g. for Zsoft, PC Paintbrush)?

 I'm currently trying to write a program to convert

 320x200x256,640x350x16,640x480x16 .PCX files to monochrome

  bitmaps to be used on X windows but I'm having some

  trouble working out exactly how the palettes and maps

   are arranged.

 Thanks in advance.

 Regan Ryan                         rryan@comp.vuw.ac.nz
 Victoria University
 Wellington
 NEW ZEALAND

kslee@athena.mit.edu (Kenneth S. Lee) (09/22/90)

Hello there.

Any body know where I can get a public domain/shareware circuit
simuation program.  If such a thing exists, could you tell me
an ftp site where I can find it.

Thanks.

robert@voskhod.mit.edu (robert jacques) (04/11/91)

 GMT
Subject: Re: GIF viewer

In article <1991Apr8.185747.27651@eng.ufl.edu>, luke@epsilon.ee.ufl.edu
(Luke J. Smithwick) writes:
 > I have recently purchased a computer from Gateway.  It has a VGA card
which does not appear to work with VGIF, the GIF view I currently have.
I would like to display some graphics (*.GIF) file on the system, but I
do not have a viewer.  Could someone ple > ase tell me where I can get
one, or possibly send one to me.

I have a similar problem with my Gateway.  Incedentally, the graphics
adapter is
is "Speedstar".  This does not seem to be one of the common adapters for
which
drivers are usually included.  Is there a possiblity that the driver for
one of
the more common graphics adapters will also work with this one ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

jrd@cc.usu.edu (Joe R. Doupnik) (06/17/91)

In article <NELSON.91Jun16163116@sun.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> In article <1991Jun15.124052.17827@cbfsb.att.com> mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) writes:
>
>    From article <3245@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, by einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason):
>    > Why?  It does not allow me to type the Icelandic characters as I would
>    > normally!!!!
>
>    We have a large world here, and Iceland is a small country.  If we all
>    knew how Icelandic characters are normally entered in an Icelandic
>    editor, more editors would provide for the entry of Icelandic characters.
>
> How about it, you non-English speakers?  Give us English-speaking programmers
> a break and tell us what we need to do to get our programs to work on your
> computers...
>
> --
> --russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
> I am leaving the employ of Clarkson as of June 30.  Hopefully this email
> address will remain.  If it doesn't, use nelson@gnu.ai.mit.edu.
------------------------------
	Not to start a thread in this section of News, but...
	What non-USA folks need is support of Code Pages as a start. In
addition to the conventional Code Pages we need to support the very much
larger number deliniated by IBM (but basically unheard of by nearly
everyone inside and outside of IBM) for the countries that IBM/Microsoft
do not touch via DOS. Code Pages, in case you skipped that part of the DOS
manual, are objects which load a new font (character set and the dots to
compose the pictures of them) into the display adapter (EGA and above),
revise the keyboard, and put the fonts into the printer (IBM printers only).
Most of this is documented in the DOS Tech Ref manual from IBM, with some
exceptions. The most important exception is the internal detail used by
COUNTRY.SYS to recognize Code Pages other than the small set shipped with
DOS.
	As openers Code Page CP 850 is needed to handle most (not all, but
most) European character sets.
	Code Pages take memory, and they can be tricky to manipulate within
a program, and the instructions to load/switch them are nearly opaque (it
can be done, we'd accomplished the feat).
	While it would be nice to have one's program "speak in tongues"
there's much more to this than Code Pages. For example, to provide a msg
in French/German/Icelandic/... takes the correct words and word order, and
the space to present them. IBM has some nifty guidelines on all of these
matters but the orientation is naturally that of much available memory.
	In addition to these matters the program needs to use the keyboard
at and above the Bios level so that Code Pages can be active, and the
handling of text information needs to be 8-bit clean (no more chopping the
high bit). I should add that things like decimal points, currency parsing,
time/dates need to track the Code Page information to be natural in the
target environment.
	By now most serious programmers are groaning, and rightly so. I've
been through the exercise and I'm not done yet (MS-DOS Kermit does the
above but needs even more extensions). Confusion sets in when information
leaks out of the program to nasty places like disk files and communications
lines: what bytes need be transmitted/received? MS-DOS Kermit uses ISO 2022
conventions to employ in-line signaling of character sets etc, and that too
takes space in the program.
	So, not to sound xenophobic, but the software commerical marketplace
for the major products is dominated by English and keeping down the size
of programs and files to merely huge. In time writers will find ways of
separating the msg text from the code and allowing some national variations.
There are limits on all of this imposed by text length and mixing languages
on the same line.
	Those of us in the Kermit project have been wrestling with the
national language issue for a couple of years now and are not done yet.
	Joe D.
P.S. For fun, tell MSK  SET TERMINAL DIRECTION RIGHT-TO-LEFT.