[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Program to log user activites on a PC???

mox@vpnet.chi.il.us (William Moxley) (06/15/91)

I'm looking for a program that will keep track of who used the computer,
for how long, and what they did (what programs they used).  It would
be nice if the program had login and password protection.  Does anyone
know of a program that does this, or something simular?

					William Moxley
					mox@vpnet.chi.il.us

In article <1991Jun15.060039.25127@vpnet.chi.il.us> mox@vpnet.chi.il.us (William Moxley) writes:
| I'm looking for a program that will keep track of who used the computer,
| for how long, and what they did (what programs they used).  It would
| be nice if the program had login and password protection.  Does anyone
| know of a program that does this, or something simular?

 - Run unix and put your programs in DOSmerge.
 - Hire a grad student to stand behind the keyboard and take notes.
 - Get a card operated lock for the keyboard and have it log every
   keystroke to a file on another computer.

  All of these would cost more than having one computer per user,
probably. The level of monitoring I imagine from your posting is totally
impractical unless you have something like security info on the system,
in which case you don't let insecure users at it. Or do I mean unsecure?
Many of our users are insecure...
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

landers@vulcan.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun15.060039.25127@vpnet.chi.il.us> mox@vpnet.chi.il.us (William Moxley) writes:
>I'm looking for a program that will keep track of who used the computer,
>for how long, and what they did (what programs they used).  It would
>be nice if the program had login and password protection.  Does anyone
>know of a program that does this, or something simular?
>
>					William Moxley
>					mox@vpnet.chi.il.us

Direct Access, a commercial menuing program does both password protection
and user/application logging.

--
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||