[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] QBOOK096.ZIP - QuikBook v0.96a: Free-form recipe database pgm

tim@zwaaney.UUCP (Timothy De Zwaan) (06/13/91)

There have been a number of requests in alt.food.cooking for ftp sources
for popular cooking database programs.  Although Meal Master is available
on SIMTEL20, some of the other popular programs are not.

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
QBOOK096.ZIP    QuikBook v0.96a: Free-form recipe database pgm

QuikBook is the most popular DOS recipe database program among the
several hundred active participants in the Fidonet COOKING echomail
area.  Although version 0.96a is designated as a beta version, QBook
has been in heavy use for over a year and has no known serious bugs.

Here is an overview from the documentation:

QuikBook (or QBook) is a program designed to help you maintain a
database of recipes.

Recipes are almost completely free-format and are stored as text
files.  QuikBook will optionally store the recipes in a compressed
file using a utility such as PKZip, ARC or LHARC.

You can search for recipes using titles and keywords.  A recipe can
contain any number of 60 character keywords.  QuikBook allows you to
easily select and work with groups of recipes.  The recipe selection
function works together with the searching function so you can search
for a particular keyword and then select some or all of the recipes
that match.

QuikBook's Import and Export functions allow for easy exchange of
recipes and easy addition of existing recipes files into QuikBook
without retyping.  QuikBook can also Import recipes that have been
exported by Episoft System's MealMaster.

Although QuikBook has many configuration options, it comes pre-
configured for the average user.  You can customize your printer,
screen colors, the editor you want to use to edit your recipes, the
utilities you want to use if you compress the recipe files, any many
more options.

QuikBook can be used as a stand alone program, but is designed to be
used with an external file compression utility (such as PKZIP/PKUNZIP,
ARC, etc) and an external text editor or word processor.  If you use a
word processor, it must have the capability to save an ASCII (or
unformatted text) file with line breaks.

QuikBook can be run either from floppy disks or from a hard disk,
although a hard disk is recommended.

------
 Timothy De Zwaan                 tim%zwaaney@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
 Zwaaney River                 ...ames!pacbell!sactoh0!zwaaney!tim
 Sacramento, California USA         Fidonet  1:203/38.23

ekman@wdl30.wdl.loral.com (Donald Ekman) (06/18/91)

In article <ksRg41w164w@zwaaney> tim@zwaaney.UUCP (Timothy De Zwaan) writes:
>There have been a number of requests in alt.food.cooking for ftp sources
>for popular cooking database programs.  Although Meal Master is available
>on SIMTEL20, some of the other popular programs are not.
>
>I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:
>
>pd1:<msdos.database>
>QBOOK096.ZIP    QuikBook v0.96a: Free-form recipe database pgm

I have been unable to use  QuikBook on my 386-based system running MSDOS 3.3.
As soon as QuikBook starts, it  kills  the cursor.  I find it very difficult
to edit a recipe with no cursor.

In fact, when I remove the prompt statement from my autoexec.bat file,
QuikBook not only kills the  cursor, it blanks the screen entirely.  I can
restore the screen with the command mode co80.  All of this occurs with the
ansi.sys driver installed; I have not tried QuikBook without this driver.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Don

--
Donald E. Ekman, Space Systems/Loral, Palo Alto, CA  ekman@wdl30.wdl.loral.com