[net.games.trivia] TP genus II

agroh@dartvax.UUCP (Andrew M. Groh) (11/20/84)

< This message not just for canadians >

I recently purchased the genus II edition of TP in the US.  This version
was marked "canadian version, not for export".  Can someone tell me if
the questions in this version are more stilted towards canadians than
the United States edition of Genus II.  Also, is there a special canadian
edition of the regular genus edition with special canadian question.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (11/20/84)

Since TP was invented and first marketed in Canada, I would say that there
was a Canadian bias from the beginning.  As far as the Genus II version is
concerned, I didn't see any such label on mine, though I will have to
look.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu
POST:  Department of Computing Services
       University of Waterloo
       Waterloo, ON
       N2L 3G1 (519)886-4733 x3524

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/20/84)

> I recently purchased the genus II edition of TP in the US.  This version
> was marked "canadian version, not for export".  Can someone tell me if
> the questions in this version are more stilted towards canadians than
> the United States edition of Genus II.  Also, is there a special canadian
> edition of the regular genus edition with special canadian question.

The questions were different in the original genus deck that came with
the game.  The Canadian version included a question, not in the US version
like:
	How many months pregnant was Nancy when she married Ronald Reagan?

-Ron

jeem@utai.UUCP (Jim des Rivieres) (11/21/84)

> < This message not just for canadians >
>
> I recently purchased the genus II edition of TP in the US.  This version
> was marked "canadian version, not for export".  Can someone tell me if
> the questions in this version are more stilted towards canadians than
> the United States edition of Genus II.  Also, is there a special canadian
> edition of the regular genus edition with special canadian question.

I recently purchased a Genus II version of Trivial Pursuit in Toronto.  It
is marked as being for Canadian consumption only, and a fair proportion
of the questions require a knowledge of Canadian history and geography.  But,
on the other hand, there are still lots on questions that are not biased
towards Canadian players.

In answer to your other question, I've never seen a special Canadian version
of the original (Genus) edition.

smc@mit-vax.UUCP (Stewart M. Clamen) (11/27/84)

> > < This message not just for canadians >
> >
> > I recently purchased the genus II edition of TP in the US.  This version
> > was marked "canadian version, not for export".  Can someone tell me if
> > the questions in this version are more stilted towards canadians than
> > the United States edition of Genus II.  Also, is there a special canadian
> > edition of the regular genus edition with special canadian question.
>
> I recently purchased a Genus II version of Trivial Pursuit in Toronto.  It
> is marked as being for Canadian consumption only, and a fair proportion
> of the questions require a knowledge of Canadian history and geography.  But,
> on the other hand, there are still lots on questions that are not biased
> towards Canadian players.
>
> In answer to your other question, I've never seen a special Canadian version
> of the original (Genus) edition.

Trivial Pursuit came out in Canada a number of months before it was
available in the US.  I don't think that there was any special marking
on the US (or Canadian) boxes signifying any bias, but I've played
both versions and I'm pretty sure that the US version had different
questions than it's Canadian counterpart;  I think that some of the
questions refering to Canada were replaced.

						SMC

---------------------------------

SMC%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
...!decvax!genrad!mit-vax!smc

eric@milo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (11/27/84)

	There is apparently a few small differences between U.S. and Canadian
versions. In the Genus edition, there is a question "What does snafu stand
for". The U.S. edition says "fouled up", the Canadian says "fucked up". Also,
in Baby Boomers the Canadian version has a question "How many months pregnant
was Nancy Davis when she married Ronald Reagan?", which does not appear in the
U.S. version (anyone know what question is in its place?).

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!milo!eric

franka@hercules.UUCP (Frank Adrian) (11/30/84)

In article <774@milo.UUCP> eric@milo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) writes:

>	There is apparently a few small differences between U.S. and Canadian
>versions. In the Genus edition, there is a question "What does snafu stand
>for". The U.S. edition says "fouled up", the Canadian says "fucked up". Also,
>in Baby Boomers the Canadian version has a question "How many months pregnant
>was Nancy Davis when she married Ronald Reagan?", which does not appear in the
>U.S. version (anyone know what question is in its place?).
>
>--
>					eric
>					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!milo!eric

No, I don't know the question in its place, but I give up - How many months
pregnant WAS Nancy Davis when she married Ronald Reagan?

			"Remember, wherever you happen to be --
				you're already there"
					Frank Adrian
					    ___
					   /- -\
					   \ - /

	uucp: {decvax,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!tektronix!teklds!franka
	CSnet: franka@tek
	ARPAnet: franka.tek@rand-relay

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/02/84)

*** I LOVE THE TP GENUS II ***

Some observations, as compared to the Genus Edition:

	- Geography is considerably more difficult
	- Entertainment is a bit easier
		[What word appears on Bob McKenzie's toque?]  :-)
	- Overall, a bit tougher than Genus, but nor as bad as
	  the Baby Boomer edition

Question:  One of the questions (I can't remember if it was Sports &
Leisure or Science...) asks:
	How many layers are there in a Big Mac?
The answer, it says, is:
	13

Now, how do they figure 13 layers?  I can see the bun (3), patties(2),
cheese(2), lettuce(1), sauce(2) for a total of 9.  Do they figure
ketchup counts as a layer, too?  Or the pickle?  Please reply by mail,
I'll summarize if there's interest.

Tom Haapanen		University of Waterloo		(519) 744-2468
[ Total winner in Trivial Pursuit Genus II :-) ]

allegra \
clyde \  \
decvax ---- watmath --- watdcsu --- haapanen
ihnp4 /  /
linus  /		The opinions herein are not those of my employers,
			of the University of Waterloo, and probably not of
			anybody else either.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/07/84)

> No, I don't know the question in its place, but I give up - How many months
> pregnant WAS Nancy Davis when she married Ronald Reagan?

C'mon that's easy, two months.  Do I piece of cheese for my wheel?

-Ron

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/07/84)

> Now, how do they figure 13 layers?  I can see the bun (3), patties(2),
> cheese(2), lettuce(1), sauce(2) for a total of 9.  Do they figure
> ketchup counts as a layer, too?  Or the pickle?

There is no ketchup on a Big Mac.  It's two all beef patties, special
sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, all on a seseme seed bun.
I don't know what order they go on in though.  Perhaps some one should
run down to McD's and take one apart, or perhaps we have some ex-McDonald's
employees in our midsts.

-Ron

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (12/09/84)

In article <6444@brl-tgr.ARPA>, ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

> > Now, how do they figure 13 layers?  I can see the bun (3), patties(2),
> > cheese(2), lettuce(1), sauce(2) for a total of 9.  Do they figure
> > ketchup counts as a layer, too?  Or the pickle?
> >
> There is no ketchup on a Big Mac.  It's two all beef patties, special
> sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, all on a seseme seed bun.

So, with two beef patties, and three layers of bun, and two layers of
cheese, that comes out to 11.  Isn't that the TP answer?  Or was it 13?
If it's thirteen, they could probably count the sesame seeds on the top bun
as a layer, and probably get anouther layer in there somewhere by doubling
up on one of the ingredients.

I don't eat Big Macs.  I don't like 'em.
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin           sdcsvax!allyn@Nosc
                          UCSD Pascal Project     {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

"Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."

jlo@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Lo) (12/10/84)

> > Now, how do they figure 13 layers?  I can see the bun (3), patties(2),
> > cheese(2), lettuce(1), sauce(2) for a total of 9.  Do they figure
> > ketchup counts as a layer, too?  Or the pickle?
> >
> There is no ketchup on a Big Mac.  It's two all beef patties, special
> sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, all on a seseme seed bun.
> I don't know what order they go on in though.  Perhaps some one should
> run down to McD's and take one apart, or perhaps we have some ex-McDonald's
> employees in our midsts.
>
> -Ron

Being an (I hate to admit it) ex-employee of McDonald's I can tell you
exactly what goes into a Big Mac, having made thousands of them.
Starting from the top:

1) Top bun
2) Onions
3) Patty
4) Pickles
5) Lettuce
6) Sauce
7) Middle bun
8) Onions
9) Patty
10) Cheese
11) Lettuce
12) Sauce
13) Bottom bun

So as you can see (wouldn't my ex-manager be proud of me) that there
are in fact 13 layers in a Big Mac.

Jeff Lo

UUCP: ..!ucbvax!jlo
ARPA: jlo@ucbvax