[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] MINIX DEMO: Boot failure

degeard@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Dave DeGear) (06/15/91)

From: degeard@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca

  I'm trying to use the Minix Demo program but my computer keeps
locking up.  The following is what my screen shows before it
locks up:

Memory Size=832k   MINIX=156k    RAM disk=192k  Available=484k

Executing in real mode

                                                      ^^^
The computer is a IBM clone 386-33Mhz with a 64k cache.  I've tried
running with the cache off and also with Shadow ram off.  I've got
4 megs of Ram installed.  The computer usually locks up somewhere
between the 45k and 115k loaded message.  I've been able to have the
Minix load completely only once in about 8 tries.  The same boot disk
will work on two other computers that I tried at work, but not on
mine.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?

degeard@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (dave degear)
1B Systems Management Limited             Public Access UseNet
WaffleXENIX v1.64 +1 604 753-9960 (TB+) & 753-9964 (2400 Only)
#5-1601 Bowen Road, Nanaimo,  British Columbia, CANADA V9S 1G5
--
100,000 Americans in the Gulf need to       | Any Servicemember     |
hear from you! Please write a letter        | Persian Gulf Command  |

In article <1991Jun14.170233.18317@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca> degeard@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Dave DeGear) writes:

| The computer is a IBM clone 386-33Mhz with a 64k cache.  I've tried
| running with the cache off and also with Shadow ram off.  I've got
| 4 megs of Ram installed.  The computer usually locks up somewhere
| between the 45k and 115k loaded message.  I've been able to have the
| Minix load completely only once in about 8 tries.  The same boot disk
| will work on two other computers that I tried at work, but not on
| mine.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?

  Not with MINIX, but other odd software. If you system has an A20
option in setup (how address line 20 works), play with that. I have no
idea if it will help, but it is important to other software.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

degear@ondeck (Dave DeGear) (06/18/91)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

> In article <1991Jun14.170233.18317@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca> degeard@oneb.wimsey.bc.
>
> | The computer is a IBM clone 386-33Mhz with a 64k cache.  I've tried
> | running with the cache off and also with Shadow ram off.  I've got
> | 4 megs of Ram installed.  The computer usually locks up somewhere
> | between the 45k and 115k loaded message.  I've been able to have the
> | Minix Demo load completely only once in about 8 tries.  The same boot disk
> | will work on two other computers that I tried at work, but not on
> | mine.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?
>
>   Not with MINIX, but other odd software. If you system has an A20
> option in setup (how address line 20 works), play with that. I have no
> idea if it will help, but it is important to other software.

  My setup allows A20 to be off or on.  I tried it in both positions and
it didn't make any difference.  My Bios is a Mr Bios Ver. E1.0B by
Micoroid Research (1991) and the chipset is a OPTi386WB.  So far this
is the only program that has refused to work on this computer.

   | Dave DeGear                   ...!ubc-cs!van-bc!oneb!ondeck!degear|
   | Department of Chemistry               ondeck.oneb.wimsey.bc.ca    |
   | Malaspina College, Nanaimo, BC, Can   degear@mala.bc.ca           |