[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] BGI drivers for Ghostscript 2.2?

lee@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Greg Lee) (06/17/91)

article <9106131130.AA07548@neutron.LCS.MIT.EDU>, by nate@NEUTRON.LCS.MIT.EDU (Nate Liskov):
" ... Ghostscript version 2.2 ...
" Screen:
" 	Borland BGI	- requires Borland BGI drivers
" ...

Are there no-cost versions of BGI drivers for SVGAs around the net
anywhere?
				Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (06/17/91)

article <9106131130.AA07548@neutron.LCS.MIT.EDU>, by nate@NEUTRON.LCS.MIT.EDU (Nate Liskov):
>" ... Ghostscript version 2.2 ...
>" Screen:
>" 	Borland BGI	- requires Borland BGI drivers
>" ...

	I just tried GS22 but when useing BGI, I am supposed to provide
	mode number in the format nn.dname where nn is the mode number
	and dname is driver's name.

	But, what's that magic number for ATT 640x400?

Xiao

userDHAL@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (David Halliwell) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.034334.13530@ecf.toronto.edu>, xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO  Yan) writes:
>article <9106131130.AA07548@neutron.LCS.MIT.EDU>, by nate@NEUTRON.LCS.MIT.EDU (Nate Liskov):
>>" ... Ghostscript version 2.2 ...
>>" Screen:
>>"      Borland BGI     - requires Borland BGI drivers
>>" ...
>
>        I just tried GS22 but when useing BGI, I am supposed to provide
>        mode number in the format nn.dname where nn is the mode number
>        and dname is driver's name.
>
>        But, what's that magic number for ATT 640x400?

    The magic number you need is NOT the value for AX in using the
BIOS interrupt to set the video mode. What GS22 wants is the number
of the mode within the BGI driver: e.g. if you have a driver that
supports 4 modes on your video card, they will be referred to as
modes 0, 1, 2, and 3 in the BGI driver. Obviously, this means that
the BGI driver must already know enough about your video card to
be able to access it. The BGI driver does NOT provide access to
"new and hitherto unknown" video modes.

    Hence, the answer to your question regarding the the ATT card is,
it depends on the BGI driver you have for your card!

Dave Halliwell

P.S. I just tried ghostscript with the SVGA16 driver at 1024x768. Looks
nice!