[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Shell encoded binaries in comp.binaries.ibm.pc

timpson@shodha.enet.dec.com (Steve Timpson) (06/13/91)

        Need some help here.  In the comp.binaries.ibm.pc file many times
        files are posted  that  require the extractor to us "sh" to shell
        out the fill into  usable code.  This looks like unix stuff and I
        do not have unix only  VMS  and  MSDOS.    What  do I need to use
        these files?

        thanks

        Steve

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/14/91)

In article <3360@shodha.enet.dec.com> timpson@shodha.enet.dec.com (Steve Timpson) writes:

>        Need some help here.  In the comp.binaries.ibm.pc file many times
>        files are posted  that  require the extractor to us "sh" to shell
>        out the fill into  usable code.  This looks like unix stuff and I
>        do not have unix only  VMS  and  MSDOS.    What  do I need to use
>        these files?

On MsDos try /pc/decode/uuexe413.zip.  (Or have I missed the essence
of the question?)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (06/14/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>In article <3360@shodha.enet.dec.com> timpson@shodha.enet.dec.com (Steve Timpson) writes:
>>
>>        Need some help here.  In the comp.binaries.ibm.pc file many times
>>        files are posted  that  require the extractor to us "sh" to shell
>>        out the fill into  usable code.  This looks like unix stuff and I
>>        do not have unix only  VMS  and  MSDOS.    What  do I need to use
>>        these files?

>On MsDos try /pc/decode/uuexe413.zip.  (Or have I missed the essence
>of the question?)

I think you may have.  I think the point is needing an unshar util, not
a uudecoder.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

timpson@shodha.enet.dec.com (Steve Timpson) (06/15/91)

>>On MsDos try /pc/decode/uuexe413.zip.  (Or have I missed the essence
>>of the question?)
>
>I think you may have.  I think the point is needing an unshar util, not
>a uudecoder.

        Right!  I have a uudecoder/Encoder its the unshar util for dos
        or VMS that I need.

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/15/91)

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:

> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>
> >In article <3360@shodha.enet.dec.com> timpson@shodha.enet.dec.com (Steve Tim
> >>
> >>        Need some help here.  In the comp.binaries.ibm.pc file many times
> >>        files are posted  that  require the extractor to us "sh" to shell
> >>        out the fill into  usable code.  This looks like unix stuff and I
> >>        do not have unix only  VMS  and  MSDOS.    What  do I need to use
> >>        these files?
>
> >On MsDos try /pc/decode/uuexe413.zip.  (Or have I missed the essence
> >of the question?)
>
> I think you may have.  I think the point is needing an unshar util, not
> a uudecoder.

If so, he needs it for some other group besides c.b.i.p... Bill places
all the c.b.i.p postings in multi-part, uuencoded zoo archives.
Uuexe413 is definitely the tool of choice for these.  I use it daily.  I
have yet to see a shell archive in this group.

Other groups, though, have shell archives frequently.  I unpack them on
my DOS machine with ms_sh, after adding a "swap off" to the head of each
part. (if you don't do this, the original shell may not swap, but all
sub-spawned shells _will_, which makes for an ungodly slow unpack!)

Here are a few other possibilites, from SIMTEL:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
SHAREXE.ARC   B  159288  880221  Unix-like shar/unshar for DOS
TOADSHR1.ARC  B   34760  890615  DOS Unix-compatible shar/unshar, w/TP 5.0 src
UNSHAR.ARC    B   24192  880326  Disassemble a shar file

Hope this helps.
--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'

fredex@wizvax.methuen.ma.us (Fred Smith) (06/16/91)

In article <3376@shodha.enet.dec.com> timpson@shodha.enet.dec.com (Steve Timpson) writes:

>        Right!  I have a uudecoder/Encoder its the unshar util for dos
>        or VMS that I need.

I have a unshar program for DOS that I got off one of the sources groups
a couple of years ago. It isn't very smart, but along with a few
additional hacks that I have butchered into it I have had no difficulty
in unsharing numerous things that have come my way.

If the ORIGINAL POSTER would mail me and give me his email address I
will mail it to him. (I don't want to end up mailing dozens of them!)

I will also, if I can remember it later when I have time, send it to
the c.b.i.p. administrator (our friend Bill) for posting on c.b.i.p.
when it comes to the top of the queue.

Fred Smith
uunet!samsung!wizvax!fcshome!fredex

In article <3360@shodha.enet.dec.com> timpson@shodha.enet.dec.com (Steve Timpson) writes:

>        Need some help here.  In the comp.binaries.ibm.pc file many times
>        files are posted  that  require the extractor to us "sh" to shell
>        out the fill into  usable code.  This looks like unix stuff and I
>        do not have unix only  VMS  and  MSDOS.    What  do I need to use
>        these files?

  As far as I know no posting contain any shell commands. Please quote
an example. How to decode is covered in the starter kit posted the 1st
and 15th every month.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/18/91)

In article <4087@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   As far as I know no posting contain any shell commands. Please quote
> an example. How to decode is covered in the starter kit posted the 1st
> and 15th every month.

How about:

v11inf03: brik shar (part 01/02)
v11inf04: brik shar (part 02/02)
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444