[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] How about some input from non-english countries? Re: ALED goes to the wastebasket here in Iceland

siebeck@infoac.rmi.de (Wolfgang Siebeck ) (06/17/91)

nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

>In article <1991Jun15.124052.17827@cbfsb.att.com> mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) writes:

>How about it, you non-English speakers?  Give us English-speaking programmers
>a break and tell us what we need to do to get our programs to work on your
>computers...

Ok, so here we go (this is from Germany):
We need 8 Bits for our characters. You can simulate some of our characters
by sending the following sequences to a standard teletype printer
(three characters each, where <BS> is a Backspace == 0x08):

"<BS>a
"<BS>o
"<BS>u
"<BS>A
"<BS>O
"<BS>U

and then one more, the character Alt-225 (Numeric keypad).
And still another one, and that's what give us trouble:
The sign for a paragraph, IBMPC character set Alt-21!!

Yes, it's a Ctrl-U and we need it for any "legal" text quoting laws ...
This character is a special headache, because it is BELOW 0x20!!!!

FLAME ON
IBM DECIDED THIS!!!!
FLAME OFF

Greetings,
Wolfgang
--
siebeck@infoac.rmi.de (Wolfgang Siebeck)

bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) (06/18/91)

Just to clarify Herr Seibeck's post:

The paragraph sign is Decimal 225 in the 850 code page.
It is Decimal 21 in the original 437 code page.

I have had other countries express an interest in this symbol, but the German
government seem to be the ones who REQUIRE it.

Cheers,

BB