[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problems with fdformat.exe

prasad@cc.utah.edu (PRASAD B. GHARPURE) (06/18/91)

I ftp'd fdform17.zip from wuarchive.wustl.edu.  The archive integrity is OK.
BUT...
fdformat crashes my system (AT -286 running 4-dos, dos 3.3)
If i run it without arguments, I get the help messages -> no crash
If i run it with junk arguments, I get a run-time error -> no crash
If i run it with valid arguments -> glorious crash.

I tried running it 	with/without fdread
			with/without himem.sys,smartdrv.sys

Can anyone help me out
Thanks in advance
Prasad

rjmanno@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Richard Joseph Manno) (06/19/91)

I'm having the same problem with it crashing so if anyone has an
answer please post because there are probably many interested parties.

Thanks.

                                         Rich

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.161522.10790@fcom.cc.utah.edu> prasad@cc.utah.edu writes:

>I ftp'd fdform17.zip from wuarchive.wustl.edu.  The archive integrity is OK.
>BUT...
>fdformat crashes my system (AT -286 running 4-dos, dos 3.3)
>If i run it without arguments, I get the help messages -> no crash
>If i run it with junk arguments, I get a run-time error -> no crash
>If i run it with valid arguments -> glorious crash.
>
>I tried running it 	with/without fdread
>			with/without himem.sys,smartdrv.sys
>
>Can anyone help me out
>Thanks in advance
>Prasad

fdformat version 17 (English) locks my Packard Bell 286/12 in all
computer configurations I tried.  I replaced the fdformat program with
version 16, which works fine, but am now using fdread ver 17.

BTW, fdformat16 appears to have problems if you interrupt it while it is
formatting a 1.72 Meg disk.

 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG