[net.games.trivia] TP errors

dlp@akgua.UUCP (D.L. Philen [Dan]) (11/01/84)

  Regarding science and nature questions in TP, two recent
problems come to mind.

1.  The science that deals with heavenly bodies and the universe etc.
My asnwer is *astronomy*
Their answer is cosmology.
A more general answer is surely physics, since physics deals with
motions, gravity, fusion (star formation) cosmic rays, etc.
Also cosmology is a subgroup of astronomy which is a subgroup of physics.

2.  An even more perplexing question is "The other two dimensions
besides length and width are?"
Their answer is depth and time.  Now we can all agree on time
but as for depth?   To anyone accustomed to cartesian coordinates
the use of length and width are a little strange, but depth is beyond belief.
Most people would at least answer height, but if you are going to use
depth, then length and width also become slightly ambigious.

I agree with the previous comments that there are so many really good science
questions that they really didn't have to resort to such confusion in
order to come up with good questions.

Here is a good one for Arts and Entertainment.
Q.  How many TP questions are wrong?

stumpf@homxa.UUCP (P.STUMPF) (11/02/84)

> Here's a good TP question:
> How many TP questions are wrong?
Many of the questions are poorly phrased and some are in the wrong
category.
How many of the TP answers are wrong?

Seriously, other  TP errors:
Q. Where is Penn Station?
A. New York
There is a Penn Station at least in New York, Newark, and Philadelphia;
probably there are more along the old Penn Railroad route.

Q. What is the longest running Broadway musical?
A. Grease (or something which was once correct)
This became A Chorus Line last year, and may change again.

TP error/typo (?)
There was a question concerning the plane that hit the Empire State
Building.
Their answer was a B-52; my almanac states that it was a B-25,
which seems more likely.

Was is Einstein who said that he never remembered anything that
he could look up?
.Pete.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/08/84)

> Seriously, other  TP errors:
> Q. Where is Penn Station?
> A. New York
> There is a Penn Station at least in New York, Newark, and Philadelphia;
> probably there are more along the old Penn Railroad route.
Just for trivia, there is one in Baltimore, too.

> Q. What is the longest running Broadway musical?
> A. Grease (or something which was once correct)
> This became A Chorus Line last year, and may change again.
"Fiddler on the Roof" which closed around 1974 held the distinction
at the time.

stumpf@homxa.UUCP (P.STUMPF) (11/13/84)

>> Q. What is the longest running Broadway musical?
>> A. Grease (or something which was once correct)
>> This became A Chorus Line last year, and may change again.

>"Fiddler on the Roof" which closed around 1974 held the distinction
>at the time.

FotR played 3242 times, Grease beat that with 3388 performances;
ACL is now up to about 3600.

What's the longest running off-Broadway musical? Broadway non-musical?
non-Broadway show?
.Pete.

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (11/14/84)

In article <486@homxa.UUCP> stumpf@homxa.UUCP (P.STUMPF) writes:

>What's the longest running off-Broadway musical? Broadway non-musical?
>non-Broadway show?
>.Pete.

"Mousetrap" by Agatha Cristy has been running non-stop in London for
over ten years (I can't remember the exact length, maybe even 15 years).
When I saw it last summer, it was the longest continuously running play
in the world.  I am pretty sure that is is still going strong.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (11/19/84)

The play "The Mousetrap", based on a story by Agatha Christie, has been
running continuously in London's West End (in several different theatres)
for over 32 years. I know this because my parents took me to see it on
my 21st birthday, which was a few weeks after its 21st anniversary!
--
                               Rod Williams
                               dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw

                "There's so much left to say - don't drift away"

gordon@uw-june (Gordon Davisson) (11/27/84)

>>What's the longest running off-Broadway musical? Broadway non-musical?
>>non-Broadway show?
>>.Pete.

>"Mousetrap" by Agatha Cristy has been running non-stop in London for
>over ten years (I can't remember the exact length, maybe even 15 years).
>When I saw it last summer, it was the longest continuously running play
>in the world.  I am pretty sure that is is still going strong.
>
>Jon Biggar

From The Seattle Times, Saturday, November 24, 1984:

    Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap," the world's longest-running play,
    will be 32 years old tomorrow.  The play, a typical Christie murder
    mystery, has had 30 changes of cast in its 13,676 London performances.
    More than six million paying customers have packed the tiny theaters
    where "The Mousetrap" played in its London version.  "It will last out
    my lifetime," said producer Sir Peter Saunders, who first risked
    staging the play in 1952.  He said Christie, after opening night,
    figured "we might get six months out of it."

--
Human:    Gordon Davisson
USnail:   5008 12th NE, Seattle, WA, 98105

nst@uvaee.UUCP (12/17/84)