[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Ghostscript

brian@nsc.nsc.com (Brian Marley) (06/19/91)

I just downloaded the GS22.EXE Ghostscript port from
the SIMTEL archive.  Using a VGA monitor, everything
works well (considering I haven't gotten the font
files yet).  However, when I try to print to my Epson
LQ-1050 (-sDEVICE=epson), the resulting image is distorted.

On some lines, the print head doesn't travel as far, leaving
a ragged right border and shifting part of the picture with
it.  It looks like information is being lost within areas of
totally white space (i.e. no pins firing), and at least somewhat
proportionately to the amount of whitespace in the line.  This
distinction is especially visible when printing the golfer.ps file.

Is there a "fencepost" error in the Epson driver while printing
whitespace, or is my case unique?

The printer prints bidirectionally by default;  I did try to
"prime" it first with a command to put it in Unidirectional
mode, but apparently the internal Epson driver in GS22 undoes
this setting.  I can't see any difference between adjacent
lines based on the direction of travel, though.

I have also tried removing all TSR's, with no effect.

In case it matters:
The system is a 25-MHz 386 (Easy Data), with the printer parallel
port (LPT1:) on an Everex multi-I/O card.

Many thanks for any enlightenment...

--
Brian Marley,  National Semiconductor Corp.
brian@nsc.nsc.com     (408)721-3918

brian@nsc.nsc.com (Brian Marley) (06/19/91)

Following up on my original post:

In article <1991Jun18.174442.5979@nsc.nsc.com> brian@nsc.nsc.com (Brian Marley) writes:
>I just downloaded the GS22.EXE Ghostscript port from
>the SIMTEL archive.  Using a VGA monitor, everything
>works well (considering I haven't gotten the font
>files yet).  However, when I try to print to my Epson
>LQ-1050 (-sDEVICE=epson), the resulting image is distorted.
                 . . .
>In case it matters:
>The system is a 25-MHz 386 (Easy Data), with the printer parallel
>port (LPT1:) on an Everex multi-I/O card.

I've now tried it also on a Compaq 286 connected to an LQ-850, with
identical results.  Both printers are 24-pin;  the 1050 is just the
wide-carriage model.

--

hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (06/20/91)

<
<In article <1991Jun18.174442.5979@nsc.nsc.com> brian@nsc.nsc.com (Brian Marley) writes:
<>I just downloaded the GS22.EXE Ghostscript port from
<>the SIMTEL archive.  Using a VGA monitor, everything
<>works well (considering I haven't gotten the font
<>files yet).  However, when I try to print to my Epson
<>LQ-1050 (-sDEVICE=epson), the resulting image is distorted.
<                 . . .
<>In case it matters:
<>The system is a 25-MHz 386 (Easy Data), with the printer parallel
<>port (LPT1:) on an Everex multi-I/O card.
<
<I've now tried it also on a Compaq 286 connected to an LQ-850, with
<identical results.  Both printers are 24-pin;  the 1050 is just the
<wide-carriage model.
<
<--
<Brian Marley,  National Semiconductor Corp.
<brian@nsc.nsc.com     (408)721-3918
<{sun | decwrl | pyramid | hplabs} ! nsc ! brian

I have seen this problem appear and disappear on my equipment.  I have a
Fujitsu DL1100.  Its emulations include Epson LQ2550.  I was running Quattro
Pro 1.0 and told it my printer was an Apple Laserwriter Plus for postscript
output, then redirected the print to a file.  The results were the same as
described above.  Tabs were inaccurate; vertical feeds were wrong, etc.  I
then restarted Quattro Pro and told it the printer was a generic postscript
printer.  I then got a beautiful output.  Strangely, both files produced
correct output to the screen device.  It sounds like the change-in-ESC-codes
hypothesis may be correct.  Anyhow, for those who do not want to recompile GS
themselves, this may be a workaround.  (BTW, golfer.ps prints fine on my
printer.  Didn't someone say they had problems with this one?)

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...