[net.games.trivia] Time between movies and sequels

gregory5@garfield.UUCP (Greg Case) (12/10/84)

I saw 2010 last Friday night and thought about the time since the
first movie 2001 and its sequel 2010 ,about 16 or 17 years (I forget
what year 2001 was released . Was it 1968 ?). Any way what I was
wondering was what is the longest time between a movie being released
and its sequel . The biggest gap I cold think of was between Psycho
and Psycho II , does anybody out there know if these movies hold the
record or not .

Ever Curious,

GREG CASE
(gregory5@garfield)

{akgua, allegra, dalcs!dreacad, ihnp4, utcsrgv}!garfield!gregory5

fishkin@ucbvax.ARPA (Ken Fishkin) (12/12/84)

In article <2179@garfield.UUCP> gregory5@garfield.UUCP (Greg Case) writes:

>what is the longest time between a movie being released
>and its sequel . The biggest gap I cold think of was between Psycho
>and Psycho II

	it was roughly 40 years from "Wizard of Oz" to "The Wiz".
Purely speaking, though, I guess that was a remake rather than a sequel.
--
		Ken Fishkin		Berkeley Computer Graphics Lab
		ucbvax!fishkin		fishkin@berkeley

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (12/13/84)

Well, a sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" was being made this past year.
It is a real sequel, not a remake.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

ecl@ahuta.UUCP (e.leeper) (12/14/84)

REFERENCES:  <2179@garfield.UUCP> <3768@ucbvax.ARPA>, <3302@mit-eddie.UUCP>

> Well, a sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" was being made this past year.
> It is a real sequel, not a remake.

No, not really.  It's a movie based on a couple of sequels to the book that the
first movie was based on, but Kurtz et al emphasize that it's not a sequel to
the 1939 WIZARD OF OZ (or to THE WIZ. for that matter).

I think that JOURNEY BACK TO OZ (made in 1964, released in 1974) *was* a
sequel, though.  (1964-1939=25 years; PSYCHO difference was 23.  Close.)
As Mark points out, what is a sequel?  Is INCHON a sequel to TORA TORA TORA?
Are they both sequels to BEN HUR?  Films based on literary works or on history
can't be categorized as sequel/non-sequel that easily.

By the way, HIS MAJESTY THE SCARECROW OF OZ was made in 1914, and there were
other Oz movies in 1924 and 1930.

So we have:

WIZARD OF OZ book  -->  WIZARD OF OZ movie (1939), WIZ, etc.

LAND OF OZ book    --
	|            \ _ OZ movie (1985)  (I think)
	v            /
OZMA OF OZ book    --

DOROTHY AND THE WIZARD IN OZ book

ROAD TO OZ book
        .
        .
        .
					Evelyn C. Leeper
==> Note new net address:		...ihnp4!ahuta!ecl
(Mail sent to my old address will be forwarded temporarily.)

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/17/84)

> Well, a sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" was being made this past year.
> It is a real sequel, not a remake.
> --
>     Barry Margolin
>     ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics
>     UUCP: ..!genrad!mit-eddie!barmar

Return to OZ is not a Sequel to the "The Wizard of OZ" that has Judy
Garland in it.  Return to OZ distinguishes itself in that it tries to
be an accurate reproduction of the story in Baum's book, rather than
a made over for Hollywood musical like its predecessor.  The technology
necessary to make a lot of what happens (like making the characters
actually look like the illustrations in the book) is fairly recent
stuff.

-Ron

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/17/84)

> In article <2179@garfield.UUCP> gregory5@garfield.UUCP (Greg Case) writes:
> >
> >what is the longest time between a movie being released
> >and its sequel . The biggest gap I cold think of was between Psycho
> >and Psycho II
> >
> 	it was roughly 40 years from "Wizard of Oz" to "The Wiz".
> Purely speaking, though, I guess that was a remake rather than a sequel.
> --
> 		Ken Fishkin		Berkeley Computer Graphics Lab
> 		ucbvax!fishkin		fishkin@berkeley

You forgot the "Wizard of OZ" cartoon with Liza Minnelli's voice as
Dorothy's.

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (12/18/84)

In article <217@ahuta.UUCP> ecl@ahuta.UUCP (e.leeper) writes:
>REFERENCES:  <2179@garfield.UUCP> <3768@ucbvax.ARPA>, <3302@mit-eddie.UUCP>
>
>> Well, a sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" was being made this past year.
>> It is a real sequel, not a remake.
>
>No, not really.  It's a movie based on a couple of sequels to the book that the
>first movie was based on, but Kurtz et al emphasize that it's not a sequel to
>the 1939 WIZARD OF OZ (or to THE WIZ. for that matter).

Seems to me it's a sequel!  It is a movie based upon sequels to the book from
which the original movie was made.  You might as well say that return of the Jedi
is not a sequel because it was based upon a different script...

The Wiazard of OZ movie is in general an improvement over the book.  I wonder
if the new movie will do as well?

  - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
  {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (12/21/84)

In article <1299@eosp1.UUCP> robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) writes:
>In article <217@ahuta.UUCP> ecl@ahuta.UUCP (e.leeper) writes:
>>REFERENCES:  <2179@garfield.UUCP> <3768@ucbvax.ARPA>, <3302@mit-eddie.UUCP>
>>
>>> Well, a sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" was being made this past year.
>>> It is a real sequel, not a remake.
>>
>>No, not really.  It's a movie based on a couple of sequels to the book that the
>>first movie was based on, but Kurtz et al emphasize that it's not a sequel to
>>the 1939 WIZARD OF OZ (or to THE WIZ. for that matter).
>
>Seems to me it's a sequel!  It is a movie based upon sequels to the book from
>which the original movie was made.  You might as well say that return of the Jedi
>is not a sequel because it was based upon a different script...
>
>The Wiazard of OZ movie is in general an improvement over the book.  I wonder
>if the new movie will do as well?
>
>  - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
>  {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

This brings to mind an (I hope) interesting observation.  When the movie
Moonraker came out, the story was so utterly unlike Felming's original
book, that instead of rereleasing the book as a movie tie-in - they
had a novelization of the script done instead, so you had a book based on
a movie based on a book, something that I can't think of having happened
before. Now, if someone would just make a tv show from the book...and if
it were picked up as a comic...

			Ted Nolan ..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                               ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted
6536 Brookside Circle                   ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206
      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")