[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problems with RCS from simtel20

martien@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Martien Kuunders) (06/17/91)

I recently got an RCS version form simtel20 (PD1:msdos.pgmutl/*rcs*), but I'm
having trouble using it. When I check in a source ci executes diff with a -a
option. Neither the diff which comes with it nor any other diff I managed to
find accepts this option. Therefore, I'm either doing something wrong or it
just don't work... Any suggestions appreciated.

- Martien Kuunders, m_kuunders@pttrnl.nl, +31-703326049, ICBM 52.05 N 4.24 E -
- "Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue"   --  MS-DOS               -

bstocker@diana.cair.du.edu (Bob Stocker) (06/18/91)

In article <10632@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> martien@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Martien Kuunders) writes:
>I recently got an RCS version form simtel20 (PD1:msdos.pgmutl/*rcs*), but I'm
>having trouble using it. When I check in a source ci executes diff with a -a
>option. Neither the diff which comes with it nor any other diff I managed to
>find accepts this option.

I use only the dosrcs* files.  I believe that the things in sh_rcs*
require some software that I don't have.  Ci works with
PD1:msdos.gnuish/diff115.zip -- which does support a -a option.  I
think that -a forces diff to treat the files as text.

So far I haven't had any problems with dosrcs as long as I've stuck to
text-only files.  The version that was posted to c.b.i.p. some time ago
quietly choked when I fed it a WordPerfect file: ci looked as if it
worked but co wasn't able to retrieve all of the file.  Since then
I've stuck to plain text files.

Also, I've gotten in the habit of always using the -l option with co.
Vanilla co creates a read-only file that a subsequent "co -l" doesn't
seem to be able to overwrite.

--
Internet:	bstocker@du.edu
BITNET:		BSTOCKER@DUCAIR

malpass@LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) (06/21/91)

Martien,
	I too had this problem.  As I recall, I solved it by switching to
gnu-diff, available in various places, probably including simtel.  It's
better than others, has more options, is probably faster, but takes up
a tad more space.  That having been said, it would have been thoughtful
for those posting PC-RCS to include a README file stating some of these
groundrules.  The docs that come with the package appear to be direct
clones of unix-diff man pages and have NO concessions to dos differences
and/or shortcomings.  Otherwise, I like having RCS on my dos machines.
	Good luck.
Don Malpass   [ malpass@ll.mit.edu ],  [ LL-internal: malpass@spenser ]
  Now what do I do?  The vacuum leaked out of my Klein bottle.