[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] cwp, not demo, author's address and comments

martin@zoo.toronto.edu (Martin Hofmann) (06/21/91)

>|In another article I wrote:
>|> One more thing: There isn't any notice about registration etc in the cwp.zoo
>|> file. Can someone please clarify the status of the program. Otherwise I'll
>|> assume it is PD :-)
>|
>|As I understood from CWP documentation posted here earlier on, CWP is a demo
>|version of a commercial product.  I quote the doccumentation, "The only
>|difference between the demo version and the full version is the size of a
>|file being edited is limited to about 1000 bytes (500 Chinese characters)
>|with the demo version."
>|
>|[Hope this helps.]
>
>I tried the posted version, which seems to allow more than 1000 bytes
>(at least editing, I dunno about saving). The docs say the FTPable version
>is demo. Maybe the author posted the real thing by mistake?. Nevertheless,
>the intro shows a copyright (in Chinese :-)).
>|
>|As an aside, I have not been able to find any mention of how to contact the
>|authors, so I will have to post this observation here instead of sending
>|email:

The following message was posted to soc.culture.china by the author of cwp.
I have taken the liberty of including it here.  This should answer most
questions and if not, well, now you have the author's name and address.

"Hi, Everyone:
"     I'm the author of the CWP Chinese word processor. There should
"be a readme file along with the 16-part program, but for some reason
"it has not been posted on cbip. So I decided to post it here. There
"are two other frequently asked questions about this program. The
"first is what's the difference between the cwp on cbip and the one
"on the ahkcus.org ftp site. The answer is that the latter is a demo
"version but the former is not. The reason why this is so is that
"after I sent out the uuencoded version and before I sent out the
"original binary version to the ftp site, my dealer contacted me and
"told me not to send the original full version to any public ftp
"sites. And I decide to obey him. The other question is what cwp
"stands for. You might think it stands for C-hinese W-ord P-rocessor
"or C-hinese W-ord P-erfect or the like, but in fact it stands for
"C-hinese W-izard's P-en. At this stage it is still a very primitive
"student-version word processor. Many more advanced features will be
"added to it in the years to come. Following is the readme.cwp file
"that was sent to cbip but was not posted. Hope it will solve your
"problem.
"
"     CWP Version 1.2 is a Chinese word-processor for IBM PC's or PC
"compatibles. It features a fast Chinese character input method which
"is also easy to learn. It requires 720K available hard disk space,
"480K RAM space and DOS verion 3.0 or above. It handles 6850 Chinese
"characters, both traditional and simplified. It supports all major
"graphics cards (CGA, EGA, VGA, Hercules, etc), and it supports both
"9-pin and 24-pin dot-matrix printers. Its file format is completely
"CCDOS compatible, and can therefore read Chinese files created with
"other CCDOS compatible Chinese language software, e.g. the electronic
"Chinese magazine Hua Xia Wen Zhai. It can also store files in the
"ASCII mode, either in pure GB or in CWP pinyin code. Both codes are
"suitable for e-mail, with the CWP pinyin code directly readable.
"     To install the CWP word-processor, download all the 16 uuencoded
"CWPn.UUE files. Use UUDECODE to create a file named CWP.ZOO (by typing
"UUDECODE CWP1.UUE). Then use the ZOO program to unpack CWP.ZOO into
"the following 7 files:
"	CWP.EXE
"	CWP.OVR
"	CWP.HLP
"	ALPHA.CWP
"	CHIN.CWP
"	CCHIN.CWP
"	TABLE.CWP
"     Both the source code of UUDECODE and the executable file ZOO.EXE can
"be obtained from the manager of this news group.
"     Except for CWP.EXE, all these files must be put in a subdirectory
"called SYS, right under the directory where CWP.EXE is installed.
"     To run CWP, just type CWP, followed by an optional file name. Once in
"the program, hit F3 for more information about how to operate it. If you
"can't read Chinese or if you need more detailed information, you may send
"$5.00 to the address at the end of this message for a manual of operation.
"     If you prefer having the original programs delivered to you in disks,
"you may send $20.00 to the same address. Anyone who does so becomes a
"registered user to whom I will notify all future upgradings. Anyone who
"has donated $15.00 or more will also become a registered user.
"     Please report any problems you come across using CWP. Suggestions for
"improvement are always welcome. You are free to copy and distribute CWP
"among your friends if you find it useful, as long as you don't sell it for
"profit.
"     Thank you for your interest in CWP and have fun using CWP.
"                                   Benjamin Ao
"				   Department of Linguistics
"				   The Ohio State University
"				   Columbus, OH 43210-1229
"
"
P.S. I think his e-mail address is ao-b@cis.ohio-state.edu
--
The world is sacred.  You cannot improve it.	| Martin Hofmann, U of Toronto
If you try to change it, you will ruin it.	| martin@zoo.toronto.edu