[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FRACINT 16 - IS IT ONLY FOR 386 & BIGGER MACHINES ???

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) (06/20/91)

After capturing all the articles for fraint16.zoo and doing the
usual uudecode, I started to reconfigure the *.zoo file into
a couple of ZOO files.  As I only have an XT with 360k floppies
at home, I usually download large file from the UNIX host to a
PC over our LAN. The direct connection makes it many times faster
than a 1200/2400 transfer over the phone lines.  However,
FRACTINT.EXE results in a 470K file.  How can that fit on a 360k disk?

Does anyone know how to split an ".exe" into  two parts and get it back
together on a PC so it can be executed.  Another thought, how can
DOS load such a large executable?  Must I have extended memory just to
load this thing?  I only have 500+ K in the transient area.

Bob Rager

(too bad MS_DOS 5 isn't a virtual operating system, it sure would relieve
a lot of agrivation.)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (06/21/91)

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) writes:

|However, FRACTINT.EXE results in a 470K file.  How can that fit on a
|360k disk?

It doesn't. Welcome to the 90's :-/.

I *really* like Fractint16. It's worth the trouble to horse-trade
disks and get a little more capacity.

Sean

--
** Sean Casey  <sean@s.ms.uky.edu>

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (06/21/91)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) writes:

>|However, FRACTINT.EXE results in a 470K file.  How can that fit on a
>|360k disk?

Two solutions:
1.	Buy another floppy (1.44M drives are DIRT cheap nowadays) or
	hard drive.

>... Welcome to the 90's :-/.

2.	Get an older version of Fractint w/o the hypertext docs. Its
	pretty much standalone. All you need on the disk is the executable.
	(5.11 is the last one before 16.0 that i know of). Its about 300k
	smaller i think.

>I *really* like Fractint16. It's worth the trouble to horse-trade
>disks and get a little more capacity.

Damn straight!

nye

acourt@lunatix.uucp (Allan Courtney) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.172153.15733@ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

| rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) writes:
|
| |However, FRACTINT.EXE results in a 470K file.  How can that fit on a
| |360k disk?
|

| It doesn't. Welcome to the 90's :-/.
|
| I *really* like Fractint16. It's worth the trouble to horse-trade
| disks and get a little more capacity.

I really like it too. And to answer the original posters question, it is
not just for 386's. It runs just dandy on my 10 MHz. 8088. Pretty fast,
too!

I don't know how I got along without this one in the past. Such fun  to
tinker with.

I have to admit, when I first looked at the size of the executable, I
was a bit taken aback. Then I read the short doc file and realized most
of that size was due to the built-in help, which is overlayed. The
program loads and run just fine in the 550K or so of free memory I have
to play with after DOS and TSRs are loaded.

|   | Allan L. Courtney, DMD                       acourt@lunatix.uucp|   |
| o | SWL Topic Leader                             ukma!lunatix!acourt| o |
|   | GEnie Radio & Electronics RT                       or           |   |
| o | GEmail: A.COURTNEY                acourt%lunatix.uucp@ms.uky.edu| o |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

carlf@agora.rain.com (Carl Fago) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.163648.14438@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM writes:
>After capturing all the articles for fraint16.zoo and doing the
>usual uudecode, I started to reconfigure the *.zoo file into
>a couple of ZOO files.  As I only have an XT with 360k floppies
>at home, I usually download large file from the UNIX host to a
>PC over our LAN. The direct connection makes it many times faster
>than a 1200/2400 transfer over the phone lines.  However,
>FRACTINT.EXE results in a 470K file.  How can that fit on a 360k disk?
>

>Does anyone know how to split an ".exe" into  two parts and get it back
>together on a PC so it can be executed.  Another thought, how can
>DOS load such a large executable?  Must I have extended memory just to
>load this thing?  I only have 500+ K in the transient area.

1.  Try using BACKUP or your favorite backup program to put it onto
360k floppies.  Though it won't be of much use if you don't have a harddisk
at home as it won't be able to run split onto different floppies.

2.  You might try PKLITE (part of the PKZIP/UNZIP set).  It compresses .EXE
files (though doesn't work if it has overlays.)

3.  You don't need extended/expanded memory that I know of.  It may use the
overlay system that I mentioned in 2 above.  In which case part of the
executable stays on the disk to be called as the program executes.  For
instance, the documentation stuff rolled into the .EXE.  It might not
need this (unless for a help screen) so wouldn't have to load it.  The
developers did a good job with the thing but they should have done something
different with the docs.  Makes the .EXE too big IMHO.

Hope this helps a little.  Sorry if it is a little vague, it is all off the
top of my head.

--
+---------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
| *-=Carl=-*  INTERNET - carlf@agora.rain.com | Time is nature's way to keep |

shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Shaun Case) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.163648.14438@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM writes:
>After capturing all the articles for fraint16.zoo and doing the
>usual uudecode, I started to reconfigure the *.zoo file into
>a couple of ZOO files.  As I only have an XT with 360k floppies
>at home, I usually download large file from the UNIX host to a
>PC over our LAN. The direct connection makes it many times faster
>than a 1200/2400 transfer over the phone lines.  However,
>FRACTINT.EXE results in a 470K file.  How can that fit on a 360k disk?

If you use ARJ to compress it, you can tell it to put it in as many 360k
.ARJ files as is necessary.  When you load it back onto your hard disk,
it will read from the series of .ARJ files.

>(too bad MS_DOS 5 isn't a virtual operating system, it sure would relieve
>a lot of agrivation.)

Truer words were never spoken.

// Shaun

--
shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com

-- 100,000, perhaps 200,000 or more Iraqis died in a "Turkey Shoot"
   inappropriately called a "war."  -- Michael Albert

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) (06/22/91)

As the original poster of the artical.  Much thanks to the many who offered
helpful suggestions.  My original message was a bit vague. My XT (actually
a TANDY 1000SL) has a 42 Meg IDE Hard Drive.  The trick is to get
FRACTINT.EXE into the machine (and also back it up).

Since computing speed seems to double about every three years,  I don't
intend to plunk down a couple $K every other year just to keep a hobby
machine up to speed.