[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FDFORM17.ZIP - Floppy disk formatter - up to 1.8 mb per disk!

PLUIMERS@rulcri.leidenuniv.NL ("Jeroen W. Pluimers") (06/11/91)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
FDFORM17.ZIP    Floppy disk formatter - up to 1.8 mb per disk!

FDFORMAT, a replacement for the DOS-Format program, has the following
advantages:

1) Supporting 3-1/2"-1.44 MB drives with any BIOS-Versions in ATs and Clones.
2) Formatting and using of 720/820 kByte disks in AT 5-1/4"-1.2 MByte Drives
   using cheap double-density (DD) disks.
3) Increasing the capacity of your disks up to 300 kByte additional storage.
4) Supporting 3-1/2"-360 kByte format.  This is useful, when you want
   to make copies of 5-1/4"-disks to 3-1/2"-disks using DISKCOPY
5) Enhance speed of your diskette I/O up to 100% with sector sliding.
   This is a method of physical ordering sectors in a way, that your
   drive is ready to read the next logical sector, when your head ad-
   vances one track.
6) Improved BOOT-Sector, which automatically boots from harddisk, if
   the diskette in drive A: is not a system disk. This allows you to
   leave the diskette in drive A;, when you reboot the system.

Changes in Version 1.7:

Added /W switch to do a format without erase.

Added /Q and /U switches to work like DOS 5 FORMAT.

Added Volume Serial Number.

Uses DOS switch char to call COMMAND-SHELL and allows switch char to
select options.

A special 8088-Version of FDREAD was added, which is required on some
XT systems.

FDFORMAT, WIMAGE and READBOOT don't need Interrupt 58H any longer.

Full extended Boot-Record as introduced in DOS 4 is now used.

Fixed problems with some Diskette-Cache Programs.

Lot's of bugs fixed.

jeroen
- -
Jeroen W. Pluimers
PLUIMERS%rulcri.leidenuniv.nl@rulway.LeidenUniv.nl

ericb@hplsla.HP.COM (Eric Backus) (06/15/91)

>pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
>FDFORM17.ZIP    Floppy disk formatter - up to 1.8 mb per disk!
>
>FDFORMAT, a replacement for the DOS-Format program, has the following
>advantages:
>
>3) Increasing the capacity of your disks up to 300 kByte additional storage.
>5) Enhance speed of your diskette I/O up to 100% with sector sliding.
>   This is a method of physical ordering sectors in a way, that your
>   drive is ready to read the next logical sector, when your head ad-
>   vances one track.

These are quite impressive sounding.  I have to wonder if there is a
downside to increasing the storage capacity and/or I/O speed in this way?
Okay, one downside is you have to have FDREAD resident in memory to
read/write the larger capacity diskettes.

Does doing this make it difficult/impossible to spare bad sectors?  If so,
does that matter?  Does it make the diskette less reliable?

I like the idea of 1.8 MB diskettes, but I am not willing to sacrifice data
integrity, especially on my backups!
--
				Eric Backus
				ericb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

mig@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Meir I Green) (06/21/91)

In article <11230003@hplsla.HP.COM> ericb@hplsla.HP.COM (Eric Backus) writes:
>>pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
>>FDFORM17.ZIP    Floppy disk formatter - up to 1.8 mb per disk!
>Does doing this make it difficult/impossible to spare bad sectors?  If so,
>does that matter?  Does it make the diskette less reliable?
Use version 1.6, for now.  I LOVE it and haven't found any reliability
problems.  But 1.8 MB is really much too small for real work and backing up
a 200 MB hard disk.

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

roberts@stsci.EDU (Jim Roberts) (06/21/91)

In article <11230003@hplsla.HP.COM> ericb@hplsla.HP.COM (Eric Backus) writes:
>These are quite impressive sounding.  I have to wonder if there is a
>downside to increasing the storage capacity and/or I/O speed in this way?
>Okay, one downside is you have to have FDREAD resident in memory to
>read/write the larger capacity diskettes.

I've been using version 1.6 for a few months.  I use it mostly to turn
1.2MB floppies into 1.44s, so I can do diskcopies from the 1.44 drive,
and to archive stuff.

I've gotten a few hundred bulk 1.2 and 1.44s during that time, and
format the 1.2s as 1.44s and the 1.44s as 1.72s  I found that if the
diskette formats successfully at the higher density, it is of good
quality, but borderline if it fails.  All the diskettes that failed at
higher density formatted successfully at normal density, but I
wouldn't trust them.

So far, I haven't had any problem reading these diskettes on either of
my PCs.  But I go over each one with Mace Remedy, which runs pretty
fast when you make use of the sector sliding.

Normal capacity diskettes definitely read and write faster if you
format them with fdformat's sector sliding.

The real disadvantage it seems to me is that you cannot readily
exchange disks with others who haven't joined the cult.  You have to
put a pod under their bed to make them into a pod-person like
yourself.

--
Jim Roberts	roberts@stsci.edu	scivax::roberts

rcotl@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Tim Liddelow [The Mad Monk]) (06/21/91)

ericb@hplsla.HP.COM (Eric Backus) writes:

>These are quite impressive sounding.  I have to wonder if there is a
>downside to increasing the storage capacity and/or I/O speed in this way?
>Okay, one downside is you have to have FDREAD resident in memory to
>read/write the larger capacity diskettes.

Considering it only occupies 128 or so bytes, that is not a downside.

>Does doing this make it difficult/impossible to spare bad sectors?  If so,
>does that matter?  Does it make the diskette less reliable?

I have NEVER had any problems using FDREAD/FDFORMAT.  If others have, I would
like to hear it.

--
! Tim Liddelow  rcotl@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au| <insert standard disclaimer>      !
! Computer Science & Com Eng              | Jordan to Paxson...Paxson assists !

rstanton@leland.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.030228.14509@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rcotl@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Tim Liddelow [The Mad Monk]) writes:
>I have NEVER had any problems using FDREAD/FDFORMAT.  If others have, I would
>like to hear it.
>
>--
When I tried using MS SMARTDRV (spelling?), every time I tried to access my
floppy drive, the first time I got the abort, retry, ignore message. If I
typed "r", everything worked fine. This seemed to happen every time I inserted
a new disk.

With PC-CACHE, I have noticed no problems.

Richard Stanton