[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] cwp overlay problem

krogers@javelin.sim.es.com (K. Rogers) (06/18/91)

I tried to run cwp on our Compaq Deskpro at work.  I get a message
about an overlay problem then the program halts and dumps me back to
the prompt.  It is using Compaq DOS 3.31.  Anyone else having
problems?  I'll try it on my 386 clone at home tonight, but it, too,
is using Compaq DOS 3.31.

Keith Rogers
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.
krogers@javelin.sim.es.com
uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!krogers
--

tamboer@cs.vu.nl (Tamboer Erik) (06/19/91)

krogers@javelin.sim.es.com (K. Rogers) writes:

>I tried to run cwp on our Compaq Deskpro at work.  I get a message
>about an overlay problem then the program halts and dumps me back to
>the prompt.  It is using Compaq DOS 3.31.  Anyone else having
>problems?  I'll try it on my 386 clone at home tonight, but it, too,
>is using Compaq DOS 3.31.

>Keith Rogers
>Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.
>krogers@javelin.sim.es.com
>uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!krogers

Looking through the .exe file I found the source of the problem:
you need to create a subdirectory named SYS and put everything except
CWP.EXE in there. Then run cwp and it will work. Maybe only one file
has to be in the sys subdirectory, I didn't check that.

Hope this helps,
 Erik
--
|  Erik Tamboer       o  |  "You know, there are many people in the  |
|  tamboer@cs.vu.nl  <\  |  country today who,  through no fault of  |

xjzhu@violet.waterloo.edu (XiaoJun Zhu) (06/19/91)

I am runing DOS4.01 on a 386/25mhz machine and got the same message.
Anybody out there have any idea what's going on?

ampan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ampa Techaratanachai) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.163505.21277@javelin.sim.es.com> krogers@javelin () writes:

>I tried to run cwp on our Compaq Deskpro at work.  I get a message
>about an overlay problem then the program halts and dumps me back to
>the prompt.  It is using Compaq DOS 3.31.  Anyone else having
>problems?  I'll try it on my 386 clone at home tonight, but it, too,
>is using Compaq DOS 3.31.

I am having the same problem.  Tried to run it on an IBM PS2 model 70(386),
and an Austin 386sx16.  Same overlay problem message on both systems.

Is it available thru' FTP sites?

Thanks for reading this.

>--
>Keith Rogers
>Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.
>krogers@javelin.sim.es.com
>uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!krogers

Daniel K.H. Woo               *****XXXXXXXXXXX******

jpm@hpindda.cup.hp.com (John Mckiernan) (06/20/91)

I had the same problem on an 286 running MS-DOS 3.2 .
I have not had an opportunity to investigate it yet.
Is the COUNTRY parameter required ?  I hope not !

Some documentation would have helped (perhaps) ,  I
did not see any in the archive files, but perhaps
it is available during execution ?

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (06/20/91)

According to the documentation posted here (a few messages back from
here), place cwp.exe in one directory (name of your choice).  Then, make
a subdirectory of that directory that must be named SYS.  Next copy all
of the files *except* cwp.exe into the SYS subdirectory.  The overlay
message appears because the program looks for the overlays to be in SYS.

Twould have been nice if the author would have supplied this piece of
rather important information in his message to the moderator.  Also,
judging from the extensive spelling and combinatorial rules involved to
use the package properly, the documentation is indispensible.  Question:
why do we have to use "iu" for umlaut and then "iou" for "iu" ???  Why
not just use "yu" for umlaut so we don't have to chain through the
pinyin system modifying it all to hell???  Why, or why, do we have to
use letters rather than numbers for the tones???  What is the logic
behind the selection of letters?  Knowing the logic might help in
remembering all these special codes....

CWP is certainly not what I would call "user friendly", and a far cry
from being intuitive.  But it certainly beats doing without :-).
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

ao-b@jabberwock.shs.ohio-state.edu (Monica Crabtree) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun19.184240.28929@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> you write:
>According to the documentation posted here (a few messages back from
>here), place cwp.exe in one directory (name of your choice).  Then, make
>a subdirectory of that directory that must be named SYS.  Next copy all
>of the files *except* cwp.exe into the SYS subdirectory.  The overlay
>message appears because the program looks for the overlays to be in SYS.

What happened was I sent the documentation to the moderator under the
impression that it was better not to include the documentation in the
.zoo file and people knew where to get it. Apparently it's not the case
and I apologize for the inconvenience.

>why do we have to use "iu" for umlaut and then "iou" for "iu" ???  Why
>not just use "yu" for umlaut so we don't have to chain through the
>pinyin system modifying it all to hell???  Why, or why, do we have to

The reason is a little bit aesthetic. In the pinyin system, the letters
y and w always occur at the beginning of a syllable and never elsewhere.
introducing as the substitute for umlaut u would be a breach of this
principle. Judging from syllable-initial and non-syllable-initial
alternations of other diphthongs (e.g ya-ia, ye-ie, yong-iong etc), the
only logical non-syllable-initial form of yu (the syllable-initial form
of umlaut u) is iu. Incidentally, this is also the spelling of this
sound in the pinyin system used in Taiwan. On the other hand, there is
another inconsistency between the syllable-initial and non-syllable-
initial forms of the final iou (i.e. you-iu). The logical choice should
have been either You-iou or Yu-iu. Now that the iu form is taken by the
umlaut u, the only option left is to restore the pinyin form iu, which
is the abbreviated form of iou, to its original form.

>use letters rather than numbers for the tones???  What is the logic
>behind the selection of letters?  Knowing the logic might help in
>remembering all these special codes....

The reason for choosing letters in lieu of numbers is basically for the
ease and speed of typing, because this eliminates the need to reach the
number keys and therefore means less hand movement. The selection of
tone letters does not have any logic at all--they are taken directly
from a supplimentary note to the October 1955 version of pinyin, with
the default tone changed from level to falling. Admittedly, these letters
are not very intuitive, but a priori, the numbers are no more intuitive,
except they have been used for a while for pedagogic purposes and
therefore look more familiar. The arrangement of the 'homonym id's', on
the other hand, do following certain principles. The most important one
is the combinatorial possibility: the homonym id is often the initial
letter of another character with which a compound word can be formed.
Characters that usually do not form compounds with other characters, such
as those used in chemical names, plant and animal names, personal and
geographical names, etc., are grouped according to their semantic category
and a homonym id is given to each category. Like every aspect of language,
there is arbitrariness here. But the most important thing is that enormous
effort was made to reduce inconsistency, which is one of the worst enemies
of learning.