[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] What is .ARJ?

bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) (06/13/91)

Hi,

   I have a file called WIRE.ARJ. I cant figure out which decompression
utility I should use on it. Can anyone help? I tried PKUNPAK, PKXARC and
PKUNZIP.

Help.

bob zigon

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.140903.29800@truevision.com> bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) writes:

>   I have a file called WIRE.ARJ. I cant figure out which decompression
>utility I should use on it. Can anyone help? I tried PKUNPAK, PKXARC and
>PKUNZIP.

Try /pc/ts/tsfaq21.arc Frequently Asked Questions.  (The answer is
/pc/arcers/arj210.exe .arj archiver by Robert Jung).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

crow@anasaz.UUCP (Jerry Crow) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.140903.29800@truevision.com> bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) writes:
->Hi,
->
->   I have a file called WIRE.ARJ. I cant figure out which decompression
->utility I should use on it. Can anyone help? I tried PKUNPAK, PKXARC and
->PKUNZIP.
->
->Help.

You need the ARJ archiver.  Coincidentally, the latest version of that
program was posted to c.b.i.p within the past month.  I didn't save it
or I would repost the articles.  Perhaps someone can mail the postings
to you (the ZOO file was rather large and was posted in about 10 parts
as I recall).

->
->bob zigon

/Jerry

--
Jerry Crow                          {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!crow
Anasazi, Inc.                                   anasaz!crow@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

mholtz@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Mark A. Holtz) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.140903.29800@truevision.com>, bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) writes:
>    I have a file called WIRE.ARJ. I cant figure out which decompression
> utility I should use on it. Can anyone help? I tried PKUNPAK, PKXARC and
> PKUNZIP.

Try ARJ210.EXE. I could point you to the right directory on
SIMTEL20, but unfortunately, the list is at work!
--
New signature tomorrow.         /\  UUCP: ames att!pacbell!  \
                                \/     pyramid sun!pacbell! -=> sactoh0!mholtz

mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) (06/15/91)

From article <1991Jun13.165331.28237@uwasa.fi>, by ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi):
> In article <1991Jun13.140903.29800@truevision.com> bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) writes:
>>
>>   I have a file called WIRE.ARJ. I cant figure out which decompression
>>utility I should use on it. Can anyone help? I tried PKUNPAK, PKXARC and
>>PKUNZIP.
>
> Try /pc/ts/tsfaq21.arc Frequently Asked Questions.  (The answer is
> /pc/arcers/arj210.exe .arj archiver by Robert Jung).

Another posssibly quicker answer is that if you're posting to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, you probably have access to comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
on which arj200 was recently posted.

							Marty
marty@hoqax.att.com		hoqax!marty
Martin B. Brilliant		(Winnertech Corporation)

mauler@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun13.140903.29800@truevision.com>, bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) writes:
> Hi,
>
>    I have a file called WIRE.ARJ. I cant figure out which decompression
> utility I should use on it. Can anyone help? I tried PKUNPAK, PKXARC and
> PKUNZIP.
>
> Help.
>
> bob zigon

Simple.   ARJ is a new file compression format, therefore you can't use other
file decompressors to handle it.

I think wuarchive.wustl.edu has it, if you don't want to try simtel20.  Its
either in a dskutl or compression subdirrectory, probably under the name of
ARJ020.ZIP or somesuch.  The file itself is usually in a different file format;
from which I deduct that ARJ currently cannot create its own self-extracting
files.

Leo Mauler
mauler@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

tankus@hsi86.hsi.com (Ed Tankus) (06/25/91)

The current version of ARJ is 2.10 and is usually found in
in self-extracting form as ARJ210.EXE though it may be zip'd, zoo'd,
etc. at some sites.

I have been using ARJ for about a month on an internal MS-DOS project
and cannot say enough good things about it and the help it's author,
Robert Jung, have provided.  I could not expect such support from
PKWARE.

--

"For every word, there is a song upon which inspiration lies ...".
Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com