[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Chinese WP

eck@cmcl2.nyu.edu (exos:) (06/21/91)

Actually, I wasn't using text mode; I made a point of doing a binary
transfer. This is all moot, since some rooting around in CWP.EXE
revealed the following:

For the program to run properly, there must be a subdirectory SYS
below CWP.EXE containing all the other files.  Moreover, it doesn't
work to invoke CWP from elsewhere and pick it up via PATH.  Running
CWP while in the directory where it resides works; presumably, APPEND
would solve the PATH problem (though I haven't tried it).

You might consider posting this info, since it's not the least bit
obvious from the content or format of cwp.zoo.

BTW, the friend for whom I went to this trouble says the program looks
(at first blush, anyway) pretty useful & useable.

Regards,
Mark

cheng@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr a cheng) (06/25/91)

Has anyone encountered the following problem with the cwp Chinese WP ?

	The program was downloaded & installed. It ran OK on 2 separate
    machines (both 286's). The files in the CWP directory was then
	backed up onto a floppy disk (including the SYS directory).
    When that floppy was used to install another copy of the WP
    on another machine, this message came up after the opening screen :

		"Cannot find base font. Program halted."

	and the program aborts.
	Thinking that the problem might be with that particular floppy, the
    "original" (the one used to successfully install the previous 2 working
    versions) floppy was tried, and the same problem persists!

	Now comes the funny part : as an experiment, the working version on one
    of the first two machines was deleted, and a re-installation
    attempted. Guess what - this time it fails ... (same error message as
	above).

So now I have ONE working verion on ONE machine. What I want to know is
this :

	(1) How can I back up that version onto floppy (yes, I am one of those who
	    actually keep backups!), and
    (2) How can I re-install it on another machine (using that backup
        floppy).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, despite what some might think, my opinion is that the program
is perfectly useable (perhaps a bit more documentation would be useful). In
fact it is better than some commercial ones I have tried. Cheers to the
author.

Regards,
Andy

a_rubin@dsg4.dse.beckman.com (Arthur Rubin) (06/25/91)

In <1991Jun25.042438.16287@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> cheng@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  a    cheng) writes:

>Has anyone encountered the following problem with the cwp Chinese WP ?

>	(1) How can I back up that version onto floppy (yes, I am one of those who
>	    actually keep backups!), and
>    (2) How can I re-install it on another machine (using that backup
>        floppy).

As has been reported here, most of the files have the SYS bit on, and are
(supposed to) be in the SYS subdirectory.  SYS files are often not backed
up/restored.  If that is the problem, and you need more help,
comp.sys.msdos.apps (re backup programs) may  be a more appropriate place to
ask.
--
2165888@mcimail.com 70707.453@compuserve.com arthur@pnet01.cts.com (personal)
a_rubin@dsg4.dse.beckman.com (work)

a_rubin@dsg4.dse.beckman.com (Arthur Rubin) (06/25/91)

In <a_rubin.677861501@dn71> I write:

>comp.sys.msdos.apps (re backup programs) may  be a more appropriate place to
 comp.os.msdos.apps

Sorry.
--

rsparrow@isis.cs.du.edu (Richard Allan Sparrow) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.042438.16287@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> cheng@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  a    cheng) writes:

>Has anyone encountered the following problem with the cwp Chinese WP ?
>
>	The program was downloaded & installed. It ran OK on 2 separate
>    machines (both 286's). The files in the CWP directory was then
>	backed up onto a floppy disk (including the SYS directory).
>    When that floppy was used to install another copy of the WP
>    on another machine, this message came up after the opening screen :
>
>		"Cannot find base font. Program halted."
>
>	and the program aborts.
>	Thinking that the problem might be with that particular floppy, the
>    "original" (the one used to successfully install the previous 2 working
>    versions) floppy was tried, and the same problem persists!

The problem arose from the copying process. There is a hidden
file in directory SYS called alpha.msg. When you do a normal
copy, that file is omitted. In order to copy that file, you must
use some utility to mark the file as visible.

                 Richard Sparrow
                (s082195@umrvma.umr.edu)