[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] djgpp - problems unzipping

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (06/24/91)

In article <9106232037.AA08830@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, KLITEX%ILJCT@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL writes:

> I've downloaded all files from the <msdos.djgpp> directory at
> simtel20.  after using merge i tried to unzip the merged file and
> while most of it was ok, some files gave errors and informed me of a
> bad CRC check. Another problem that i encountered was that all of the
> executables were compiled exlusively for 386s...
>   Did anybody encounter bad CRC checks like my own ? and also is there a
> way to build a gpp for a 286 ?

The purpose of djgpp was to port the GNU C/C++ compiler to a 386/DOS
environment, specifically to take advantage of the 32-bit instructions
and address space.  80286 machines simply do not have the
functionality required to implement such a port, and are not supported
(probably never will be, either).  The major obstacle is the GCC
compiler itself, which assumes a 32-bit "int" and 32-bit address space
- see their documentation for why they did this.

It is important to use binary mode when transferring these files
around, as they are binary chunks of a binary file.  PKZIP version
1.01 (I think) was used to create this file, and the -d option must be
used to un-zip it properly, as per the readme file.

DJ
dj@ctron.com

In article <9106232037.AA08830@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> KLITEX%ILJCT@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL writes:

|   Did anybody encounter bad CRC checks like my own ? and also is there a way to
| build a gpp for a 286 ?

  The docs say pretty clearly "386 only."
  GE Corp R&D Center, Information Systems Operation, tech support group
  Moderator comp.binaries.ibm.pc and 386-users digest.