[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] TAPCIS: information?

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) (06/25/91)

I recently heard of a program called TAPCIS, for reading Compuserve stuff
off-line, to cut phone costs.  It's supposed to be pretty slick.  Is this
a shareware program? Commercial?  Any pointers?

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon

trljim@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (James Sonnenmeier) (06/25/91)

In article <40790011@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.>, everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) writes...
>I recently heard of a program called TAPCIS, for reading Compuserve stuff
>off-line, to cut phone costs.  It's supposed to be pretty slick.  Is this
>a shareware program? Commercial?  Any pointers?
>
>Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
>....hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
>everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon

TAPCIS is a shareware (ie. pay and register to continue using after 20
days, in fact the unregistered program dies after that)  The easiest place
to get it is on CompuServe in the TAPCIS forum (GO TAPCIS) and download
the version there (current version 5.3) then you can register the software
online and they will send you the lastest version and a manual.  It is
able to retrieve email, do upload/downloads, faster than you can by hand.
It uses CompuServe's own download protocol which is fastest there since
it is tailored to their system.
It lets you read the retrieved mail and reply offline. It works in CI$'s
expert mode and streamlines online activity as much as possible. Its like
$75 but well worth it considering the money you can save in the long run.
(It works so well tho, that you spend even more time online! .. smile)

    _____           _____________________
      |  _  _  _   /__  __  _   _  _  _  ___  _  _  _  _    ___  _  ___  __
 ___ / _/ _/\_/\_  __/ /_/ _/\_/ _/\_/ _/_- _/\_/ _/\_/\_ _/_- _/ _/_- _/ ->_
<_________________/__________________________________________________________

Jim Sonnenmeier                  !
TRLJIM@UBVMS.BITNET  : BITNET    !    :-)
jrs@santa.eng.buffalo.edu :      !
                      Internet   !
[72361,2133]  : CompuServe       !    I like to think that time and space
University at Buffalo            !    are ours to use :) ... The sky is my
Department of Mechanical/        !    joy, the wind is my lift.
Aerospace Engineering            !

peterson@choctaw.csc.ti.com (Bob Peterson) (06/25/91)

> I recently heard of a program called TAPCIS, for reading Compuserve stuff
> off-line, to cut phone costs.  It's supposed to be pretty slick.  Is this
> a shareware program? Commercial?  Any pointers?
>
> Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company

  Development of the TAPCIS shareware package began over five years
ago.  Yes, the program saves money by minimizing online time.  It also
tracks your online time and computes how much you spend on various
activities.  TAPCIS focuses on Forums, but also supports Compuserve's
electronic mail system, conferencing, and other Compuserve services.  A
terminal emulator is available for real interactive use.  TAPCIS
implements Compuserve's proprietary file transfer protocol, and
automates file transfers to/from Forum file libraries.

  TAPCIS runs on IBM PC-class machines only.  OMNI Information
Resources, Inc., publishes TAPCIS:
	OMNI Information Resources, Inc.
	P.O. Box 1996
	Wilmington, DE  19899

  OMNI accepts credit card orders at 800 USA GROUP or 301 387 4500.

  If you check online, e.g., "FIND TAPCIS", you'll find a forum
dedicated to supporting TAPCIS.  Or just "GO TAPCIS."  You can download
the shareware distribution (not crippled) from the TAPCIS Forum, as well
as get expert assistance.

  If you use Compuserve from an MS-DOS/PC-DOS machine, I recommend you
use TAPCIS.  I do.  (I have no affiliation with OMNI, the TAPCIS
authors, or Compuserve.  I did run a Compuserve Forum for several
years, and beta tested one TAPCIS release.)

    Bob
--
Bob Peterson         Waffle BBS: peterson@zgnews.csc.ti.com
P.O. Box 861686      Internet: peterson@csc.ti.com  TelCo: 214/995-6080 days

rclark@concour.cs.concordia.ca (CLARK richard) (06/26/91)

In article <40790011@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> (Everett Kaser) writes:
>I recently heard of a program called TAPCIS, for reading Compuserve stuff
>off-line, to cut phone costs.  It's supposed to be pretty slick.  Is this
>a shareware program? Commercial?  Any pointers?

I only recently downloaded it.  The program and docs are about 320k, so
downloading it from compuserve would be costly.  The program is shareware,
registration fee is (I recently read a posting from Keith Peterson which
I believe said people shouldn't mention prices on the net) expensive,
but you'll get printed documentation (the text file is 8000 lines long).
Documentation says that you will easily recoup the registration fee in
more productive time on compuserve.

I haven't tried it yet, because I haven't printed the docs, but according
to my compuserve magazine, its about the best reader.

Call me a communist, but it would kill me to see you spend a lot of
money (like I did) downloading it from compuserve.  Contact me and I
will get it to you somehow (email, upload to simtel, diskettes ...)

I'm going to look through previous news messages to try to find out
how to upload it to simtel (I know its been posted - I just don't
know where I put it).

I sent this message to news rather than email because I wanted to
save people money.  If people will be a little patient, I will
eventually get this program uploaded to simtel.  I will not be able
to email this program to everyone who wants it.

thank you

rick clark (rclark@concour.cs.concordia.ca)

--

rick clark (rclark@concour.cs.concordia.ca) | Membre du "Bloke Quebecois"
Concordia University, Montreal.             |

tbt@polari.UUCP (Tom Talbott) (06/26/91)

In article <40790011@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) writes:
>I recently heard of a program called TAPCIS, for reading Compuserve stuff
>off-line, to cut phone costs.  It's supposed to be pretty slick.  Is this
>a shareware program? Commercial?  Any pointers?

TAPCIS is shareware program with a 20 day trial period.  It registers for
about $79.  If you are a heavy Compuserve user, it will save you much more
than that.  The user interface isn't anything real special, but it provides
a great service.  I use it mainly to scan certain forums for headers.  I
through the headers after they have been downloaded and pick the ones that
I want to read.  It then downloads the items and I read them offline and
reply offline.  The replies will automatically be uploaded then next time
I am on.  It has a nice file search which will allow you to search by key
word or filename.  You can then mark the files that you wish to download.

Basically, it allows you to do all of your reading, writing, decision
making offline.  This saves you a lot of money, especially if you have access
to a 9600 baud modem.  Even at 2400, it's great.

 reply to: Tom Talbott             | uunet!seattle!tbt
                                   | tbt%seattle@sumax.seattleu.edu
                                   | 72310.2622@compuserve.com

ganzer@cod.NOSC.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) (06/27/91)

Much of what is done by TAPCIS is also performed by AUTOSIG, a FREE program
written by Vern Buerg an Don Watkins, and available in CompuServe's IBMCOM
forum library 1, and is also available on SIMTEL in the CIS directory. I
haven't really tried TAPCIS much, however from following the discussions on
CIS comparingthe two programs, it appears that they comparable in handling
forum messages, but that TAPCIS better integrates access to the file libraries.
There are utilities available for AUTOSIG that do the same. TAPCIS also uses
the B+ protocol for file downloads, which I understand is a little more
robust that the Quick B protocol used in AUTOSIG.

After looking at the pluses and minuses of both programs, I decided that for
my own casual use of CompuServe, (why read CIS when there is USENET?) I
couldn't justify the cost of TAPCIS and have stayed with AUTOSIG.
--
Mark T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
Internet: ganzer@nosc.mil         Compu$erve: 73617,442