[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] It is time to put c.b.i.p reorganization into practice

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/28/91)

1. comp.binaries.ibm.pc newsgroup descriptions revisited

Since I haven't yet seen a repeat of the new descriptions of the
comp.binaries.ibm.pc groups since the reorganization which came into
effect the 23rd of June, I'll take the liberty of quoting from Bob's
(Sloane) posting that has the information.  My thanks to Bob for now
having the reorganization.  It is put forward that we users should
now take a note of this reorganization in selecting a
comp.binaries.ibm.pc newsgroup for one's postings, and that we who
have been long around and involved with the reorganization would from
now one direct the stray :-) users to select the appropriate group
if the need arises.

2. Let's normally not crosspost to the comp.binaries.ibm.pc groups

At the same time I would like to draw you attention to one logical
homemade rule, which I have take up some time ago for discussion
with Bill (Davidsen), Keith (Petersen), and Bob (Sloane) before
posting.  This rule is that with the natural exception of
administrative postings like this one, let us not crosspost to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc groups, because that would defeat the purpose
of these groups.  (Note that this does not discuss crossposting to a
c.b.i.p group, and another group).  (Also note with my compliments
that there have been no problems with crossposting since the
reorganization).

:
:
>These groups are being created to reduce the volume of traffic in the
>group comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, to better organize the material that is
>currently posted to c.b.i.p.d and to make it easier for people to find
>what they are looking for.  The new groups would have the following
>charters.
>
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives:
>
>  This group would be used to post announcements related to archive sites
>  for ibm pc and compatible binary files.  Appropriate articles would
>  include such topics as announcements of new binaries available,
>  connectivity problems with archive sites, and bug/problem reports
>  concerning programs from archive sites. Requests concerning where
>  particular programs are available would not be appropriate, and should
>  be posted to the c.b.i.p.wanted group instead.
>
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc.wanted:
>
>  This group would be used to post requests/replies concerning where to
>  find ibm pc or compatible programs.  Topics would include requests for
>  missing parts of binaries posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc and requests
>  for specific programs.
>
>The existing comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d would be used for discussions about
>the actual programs posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, such as bug reports
>(but not articles about missing parts) or requests about how to use the
>programs.
>--
>USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
>E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun28.050626.22067@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
> 2. Let's normally not crosspost to the comp.binaries.ibm.pc groups

I agree. I would like to add one other minor point.  If you are
following up to an article in cbip.wanted concerning a program at an
archive site, it would probably be best to follow up in the .wanted
group, but set the Followup-To: header to the .archive group.