[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need a dos-utility like AWK in unix

NARA@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (N. Krishnaiyengar) (06/25/91)

Hi,
I am looking for an utility, that will function like the "awk" function in the
unix.  The purpose is to edit single coulmn from a file containing several
columns.   I would appreciate any information about this.  Thanks

Nara

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (George A. Theall) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.173624.18214@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> NARA@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (N. Krishnaiyengar) writes:
>I am looking for an utility, that will function like the "awk" function in the
>unix.

   What's wrong with AWK itself? It's been ported to DOS by several
folks; there are even freeware implementations in the SIMTEL20
archives:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.AWK>
AWK214.ZIP    B   77831  900522  Rob Duff's AWK interpreter, v2.14
AWK300.ZIP    B   86767  900713  AWK text scanning and processing language
G210DOC.ARC   B  298944  890412  Documentation for GNU AWK v2.10
GAWK211.ZIP   B  198899  900417  Official release of GNU AWK v2.11 for MSDOS

Happy hunting,

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics
theall@ssctemp.sas.upenn.edu			Univ. of Pennsylvania
gtheall@penndrls.upenn.edu			Philadelphia, PA 19104

n65j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun24.173624.18214@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu>,
NARA@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (N. Krishnaiyengar) writes:

> I am looking for an utility, that will function like the "awk" function in the
> unix.  The purpose is to edit single coulmn from a file containing several
> columns.   I would appreciate any information about this.  Thanks

Why not AWK itself?  There are several versions available for the PC,
including my favorite GNU AWK (GAWK) which is available in many MSDOS
archives on the net.  Look for the file GAWK211.ZIP which contains the
source, .EXE, and a decent summary manual.  A thorough manual is available
in GNU archives.

-- Steve Pacenka, n65j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

miracle@sctc.com (Barry Miracle) (06/29/91)

An alternative to AWK is to write a program in ICON.  If the parsing
you need to do will be reused and maintained, or is of substancial
sophistication, then ICON is superior.  If you need to hack out
something quick, then AWK works quite well.  ICON is at
cs.arizona.edu.

Barry

miracle@sctc.com