[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] help for PC problems!

gyao@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ginlom Bob Yao) (06/27/91)

Hi,

There's a problem in my pc:

When i insert a floppy in drive A and type dir, it always comes out
the former contents (which is the first one after reboot.
It doesn't matter how many times i change other floppys later.)  I can use
Ctrl-c and dir again to solve this problem (But i have to do each time
whenever i wanna use dir in drive A).

Could you give me some hints about this problem?  I'll be appreciate!
Thanks!

Bob

cwinemil@keys.lonestar.org (Chris Winemiller) (06/29/91)

gyao@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ginlom Bob Yao) writes:
> When i insert a floppy in drive A and type dir, it always comes out
> the former contents (which is the first one after reboot.
> It doesn't matter how many times i change other floppys later.)  I can use
> Ctrl-c and dir again to solve this problem (But i have to do each time
> whenever i wanna use dir in drive A).
>
> Could you give me some hints about this problem?  I'll be appreciate!
Bob,
  There is a mechanism in your floppy drive which detects "change of
media"; i.e., it signals when a floppy has been removed/inserted.  DOS
uses this info; it stores your floppy's "directory" info in memory and
uses _that_ instead of reading your floppy each time.  When the floppy
is changed out for another, DOS detects it and then reads the disk
itself and stores its info.  Now, if the "change of media" signal from
the drive is broke, it may think that there's "always" a floppy
inserted and never changed out!  This happened to me recently.  You can
either: 1) try to fix the drive; or 2) buy another drive for $70 or
less.  I did the latter, because I'm a klutz at repairs :-).

> Thanks!
Your welcome!

Chris

--
Chris Winemiller         Internet: cwinemil@keys.lonestar.org
                         UUCP    : texsun!letni!keys!cwinemil

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (06/29/91)

cwinemil@keys.lonestar.org (Chris Winemiller) writes:

>gyao@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ginlom Bob Yao) writes:
>> When i insert a floppy in drive A and type dir, it always comes out
>> the former contents (which is the first one after reboot.
>> It doesn't matter how many times i change other floppys later.)  I can use

>Bob,
>  There is a mechanism in your floppy drive which detects "change of
>media"; i.e., it signals when a floppy has been removed/inserted.  DOS
>uses this info; it stores your floppy's "directory" info in memory and
>uses _that_ instead of reading your floppy each time.  When the floppy
>is changed out for another, DOS detects it and then reads the disk
>itself and stores its info.  Now, if the "change of media" signal from
>the drive is broke, it may think that there's "always" a floppy
>inserted and never changed out!  This happened to me recently.  You can

Interestingly enough, this happens to me frequently (but not always),
when I switch diskettes *if* I do the switch quickly.  If I wait a few
seconds between removing the first and inserting the next, it will be OK.

There is a statement in one of the DOS programming manuals to the effect
that "it is impossible to switch a disk in less than two seconds" and
DOS uses this fact to determine whether the diskette has been changed.
I wonder if I'm just fast, or if some drives/versions of DOS stretch
this two seconds out a bit.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)