[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Editor that can handle BIG files wanted ...

Jordan_Melville@mindlink.bc.ca (Jordan Melville) (06/29/91)

In article <51460@ut-emx.uucp>, dougmc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Doug McLaren) wrote:
> I'm looking for an editor that can handle huge text files (like over > a meg)
Naturally, the file would have to be kept at least part on > disk or
extended/expanded memory.  QEdit is wonderful, but can only > go up to about
500k. [...]

I sincerely doubt you'll find any editors out there which will support such a
function in the public domain/shareware market. In fact, the only one which
I've managed to find is WordPerfect (anything but PD/SW). Probably the best
thing for you to do would be to get ahold of a program which will chop the
large file into smaller, managable chunks (I use "CHOP31.ZIP" myself - a great
program) and then, after editing them, simply copy them back together.

Jordan.
-------
Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
UUCP: a516@mindlink.UUCP
"So let's make our own movies like Spike Lee, 'cause the roles bein'
offered don't strike me, as nothing the black man can use to learn,
BURN HOLLYWOOD, BURN" - Public Enemy "Burn Hollywood Burn"

wjin@viking.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (06/30/91)

In article <51460@ut-emx.uucp> dougmc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Doug McLaren, esquire.) writes:
>I'm looking for an editor that can handle huge text files (like over a meg)
>Naturally, the file would have to be kept at least part on disk or extended/
>expanded memory.  QEdit is wonderful, but can only go up to about 500k.
>I need to edit the cwp uuencoded source to remove the junk.  Actually, if
>someone has a ms-dos filter that will do that, that would suffice too.

Even though there exist a few editors which can edit mega bytes of data,
I don't recommend them, because it will take more than 2 minutes to load
such a big file.  Usually it takes time even to move around and modify
the file. Also, it takes another more than 2 minutes to save the
file and exit.
So, what I would like to suggest is to use 'split' - 'edit' - 'cat' sequence.
I believe public domain versions of 'split' and 'cat' are available on
many DOS ftp sites.
If you insist on editing big files, someone posted before that 'me'(?) can
do that. Jove can edit largest file among the free emacs-like editors.
For commercial versions, there are many, including ed from MS-DOS,
vi from MKS Tool kit, and so on.

------
W. Jin
wjin@cs.uh.edu

it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (06/30/91)

wjin@viking.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) writes:
>In article <51460@ut-emx.uucp> dougmc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Doug McLaren, esquire.) writes:
>>I'm looking for an editor that can handle huge text files (like over a meg)

>Even though there exist a few editors which can edit mega bytes of data,
>I don't recommend them, because it will take more than 2 minutes to load
>such a big file.  Usually it takes time even to move around and modify
>the file. Also, it takes another more than 2 minutes to save the
>file and exit.

  tedit from simtel20 and wuarchive.wustl.edu can edit very large files
(/mirrors/msdos/editor/tedit2.arc in wuarchive).  I just loaded a 1.2
meg file on a 12 Mhz 286, 2:1 interleave MFM hd, and it took about 30
seconds.  The neatest editor I have seen, however, is an editor called
GEDIT by Gazelle Systems, which I believe is part of the QDos
distribution (I don't know if this is shareware or commercial).  The
same 1.2 meg file came up immediately ready for editing while the
editor loads the rest of the file in the background.  Took 10 seconds
to finish loading the same file.

bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) (06/30/91)

In article <supat.678294908@orion> supat@orion (Supat) writes:
>Jordan_Melville@mindlink.bc.ca (Jordan Melville) writes:
>
>>In article <51460@ut-emx.uucp>, dougmc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Doug McLaren) wrote:
>>> I'm looking for an editor that can handle huge text files (like over > a meg)
>>Naturally, the file would have to be kept at least part on > disk or
>>extended/expanded memory.  QEdit is wonderful, but can only > go up to about
>>500k. [...]
>============
>there exist editors that can handle >1mb w/o virtual memory.
>==============
>>I sincerely doubt you'll find any editors out there which will support such a
>>function in the public domain/shareware market. In fact, the only one which

	You can get Jove for the PC from msdos.archive.umich.edu in the
	editor directory... I use it to edit small and very large files!!!

    -Bob Angell-         |    (sigs, the "ugly american" syndrome)
   bangell@peruvian.utah.edu; bangell@cc.utah.edu; angellrl@cc.utah.edu

supat@orion (Supat) (06/30/91)

============
there exist editors that can handle >1mb w/o virtual memory.
==============
>I sincerely doubt you'll find any editors out there which will support such a
>function in the public domain/shareware market. In fact, the only one which
>I've managed to find is WordPerfect (anything but PD/SW). Probably the best
>thing for you to do would be to get ahold of a program which will chop the
>large file into smaller, managable chunks (I use "CHOP31.ZIP" myself - a great
>program) and then, after editing them, simply copy them back together.
==========
Sometimes, it need big memory for text file.
It is not necessary to chop the file.

Supat.
============
>Jordan.
>--
>-------
>Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
>Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
>UUCP: a516@mindlink.UUCP
>"So let's make our own movies like Spike Lee, 'cause the roles bein'
>offered don't strike me, as nothing the black man can use to learn,
>BURN HOLLYWOOD, BURN" - Public Enemy "Burn Hollywood Burn"

conner@buster.cps.msu.edu (Conner Christopher) (07/01/91)

I just posted an editor to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Hopefully
it didn't get out to anybody on c.b.i.p.d.  I made a little
mistake, but it should be fixed.  If I can find out the FTP
site I'll post it's IP adress later.

Hope it works for you!

--
    :  conner@buster.egr.msu.edu     :
    :  ccubed@dcssparc.cl.msu.edu    :

bstocker@diana.cair.du.edu (Bob Stocker) (07/01/91)

In article <51460@ut-emx.uucp> dougmc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Doug McLaren, esquire.) writes:
>I need to edit the cwp uuencoded source to remove the junk.  Actually, if
>someone has a ms-dos filter that will do that, that would suffice too.

No need to edit anything at all.  Give your files names like
cwp01.uue, cwp02.uue, etc. and then use Richard Marks' uudecode
program with a command like:

	uudecode cwp01.uue

Marks' program automatically picks up cwp02.uue and other files in the
sequence, it throws away everything that you'd throw away, and it
evaluates checksums to boot.  Even if you have the best editor in the
world (which you probably never will have on a PC), I think you'll
find that Marks' program is preferable for this application.

It's available on SIMTEL20 as PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>UUEXE413.ZIP.

--
Internet:	bstocker@du.edu
BITNET:		BSTOCKER@DUCAIR

act@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Andrew Turner) (07/01/91)

>> I'm looking for an editor that can handle huge text files (like over > a meg)
>Naturally, the file would have to be kept at least part on > disk or
>extended/expanded memory.  QEdit is wonderful, but can only > go up to about
>500k. [...]
Try EDIT that comes with MSDOS 5.0, and you get to upgrade too!!

--
 Andrew Turner  act@csc.canberra.edu.au
	Die, v:	To stop sinning suddenly.

boyd@cs.unca.edu (Mark Boyd) (07/01/91)

I like to edit files.ls from wuarchive ( about 5 MB after I reformat it ),
so I'm always intested in editors that will handle large files. This topic
comes up regularly in this group, and the suggestions that get posted often
refelect the fact that the posters don't check their own assertions before
they post. I check them after they post.

The editor that I got with DOS 5.0 ( edit.com which uses qbasic.exe )
will not edit a large file. It gave me an out of memory error. So don't
buy DOS 5.0 for that editor! On the other hand you probably should buy
it, it is a real improvement although it does slow my system.

Another suggestion, tedit2.arc from wuarchive, does edit large files,
and it is reasonably fast. Unfortunately it seems pretty buggy. It
crashed several times when I used it. I discarded it because I have a
better alternative for editing large files. I use Borland's Sprint. It
isn't as fast as t, but it doesn't crash nearly as often. Of course it
is also a commercial product.

	Mark