[rec.nude] where can I complain!

pfister@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (tom pfister) (05/03/88)

In article <7780@ihlpa.ATT.COM> garyt@ihlpa.UUCP (45261-Theis,G.) writes:

>ATTENTION    ATTENTION    ATTENTION    ATTENTION
>
>Since I posted several weeks ago asking if anyone
>was interested in a long-distance weight reduction
>progam, numerous requests were made to post the
>partiulars.
>
>        	Name: PEYTON N. DAVIS PhD.

  [address and phone number of this doctor(?) deleted]

  [annoying addvertisement for over-the-phone weight loss
   counseling deleted: sounded just like the type of
   ads you see on late night television]

Everyone on the net must have seen this ad by now.  It has been
posted in numerous groups, always as a reply to a subject with
no bearing what-so-ever to weight loss.
What can be done about a JERK like this??
I have added news.admin to the already extensive list of groups
that this goes to in hopes that someone in a position of authority
will be able to do something to this guy.
I have sent a private flame to garyt.

With all of the net-posters employed by AT&T, surely someone
knows who this guy is.  Please rip his head off and stuff
it up his ass!

I think I will also call this doctor's number and tell him
of this ad, find out if he new anything about it, and give him
an ear full either way.

If you get the impression that this blatant misuse of the net
pisses me off, you got it right!

Tom Pfister
pfister@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) (05/03/88)

In article <1694@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, pfister@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (tom pfister) writes:
> In article <7780@ihlpa.ATT.COM> garyt@ihlpa.UUCP (45261-Theis,G.) writes:
> >
>   [annoying addvertisement for over-the-phone weight loss
>    counseling deleted: sounded just like the type of
>    ads you see on late night television]
>
> Everyone on the net must have seen this ad by now.  It has been
> posted in numerous groups, always as a reply to a subject with
> no bearing what-so-ever to weight loss.

> What can be done about a JERK like this??
>
> Tom Pfister
> pfister@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

...I know how you feel. About a year ago, when I first got on the net, I was
flamed and verbally assaulted by a pair of idiots for no reason, and after
consulting our administration I was informed that A) as far as the Net was
concerned, there really wasn`t anything that could be done because the two
jerks were in another state, and B) if the matter was REALLY critical (like
these two idiots were uploading trojans {new or used} to the Binaries, then
they could get our SysAdmin to put the screws on THEIR SysAdmin, but it would
cause problems, and our SysAdmin wants no problems, period.

...It's sort of catch-22. Sure, they're doing something wrong, but you can't
do anything to them because they`re somewhere else. And if their SysAdmin
condones such activities (Hey, these guys were from Berkely, as it turns out)
then you can bet your bottom dollar that it's a no-win situation.

...it's like the problems with CUNY on Bitnet Relay. You can kick them offline,
but you can't shut them out of the system because their system is so linked
to the Relay that no one outside of the CUNY SysAdmin has the privledge of
banning anyone at CUNY from the Relay.

...anyway, go ahead and look into it. Maybe you'll find something that can
be done about this idiot, but somehow I doubt it...

							OM